>Men getting married in a cutaway with striped trousers, ascot tie and double-breasted grey waistcoat, boiled white shirt with picadilly collar, grey top hat (I wore this at my wedding)

I suppose weddings are one of those times when people chose to step back in time (or not), so are invitably flies in aspic.

If your post refers to the wearing of a morning suit (with tails), waistcoat, wing collared shirt and top hat, then you'd probably consider a lot of present day English and Welsh weddings to be flies in aspic, following much the same style (evening wear doesn't tend to be worn because weddings tend to be in the daytime in a church or registery office, rarely in a private house). http://www.weddingguide.co.uk/grooms/forthegroomwear.asp
You may also consider the fact that the wedding cake is usually a fruit cake to be another fly in aspic! Maybe old fashioned weddings remain popular because the weather, rarely makes the wearing of thick heavy morning suits too uncomfortable.

In Scottish formal weddings the men wear kilts - my neigbour set off in a classic car for his daughter's wedding a few days ago, he easily upstaged the women members of his party. "Four Weddings and a Funeral" is the definitive formal wedding catalogue.

By the way I wonder why I never see the word "tuxedo" used here for a black jacket (it may be used for a formal white jacket), it tends to be described as a "dinner jacket" or "dress suit" and the invitation to a formal event would specify "black tie".

Similarly, the term "maid of honour" is out of my parent's generation, I've never heard it mentioned here amongst any of my agegroup, although it seems to be still used in the USA.

The other thing that I have never come across here, is wedding (or baby for that matter) "showers" - they sound wet and uncomfortable to me. I wonder how far back they date?

Mind you, the web is full of wedding suppliers. I found some great ideas for more up-to-date weddings for anyone getting married later this month, you still have time!:
http://www.wednet.com/questions/engage13.asp