Dear BYB: the word aspic is a bit interesting, being related to the color of an asp, a small venomous snake. Whoever chose the name to apply to something edible could easily have picked a term more palatable. And a fly in aspic suggests something even less appetizing. As a somewhat more appealing simile, why not a fly in amber? The only thing wrong with that is it would mean preservation for thousands if not millions of years. I see vehicles here in LA that are almost fifty years old.
It would not surprise me to find that they had been stolen when new for sale in South America and then used to transport an immigrant. Cars last better where there is no salt on the roads. I knew it would be egregiously bad manners to inquire how many times the odometer had reset, though I would very much like to know the answer. It is probable that those cars have had a dozen different owners, so that the present owner would not know the true total mileage. They will make a thesis subject for some urban archaeologist.