Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43181 09/26/2001 1:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 6,511
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 6,511
The news media seem not to agree on what to call the denizens of Afghanistan. I'm not sure, either, though I never had much cause to consider it until recently. To me, 'afghan' brings forth images of bounding hounds with trailing tresses and comfy blankets crocheted by grandmas. So I guess I'd call the people 'Afghanis.'

What about y'all?


#43182 09/26/2001 1:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 13,858
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 13,858
As a contribution to the war effort, some clever insult ought be concocted. Afghan hounds are brainless and impossible to housebreak. Afghan throws are colorful but not particularly warm. I never did hear how they got their name. Both items are attractive but useless. But I can't think of a suitable insult.


#43183 09/26/2001 4:58 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,467
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,467
Nope. Just drop a house on one and watch him break.

With no apologies to PETA (or Paul or Mary either!)



TEd
#43184 09/28/2001 1:13 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 3,146
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 3,146
To me, Afghans have always been cocoa-flavoured biscuits/cookies with chocolate icing with a piece of walnut on top. Heaven alone knows where they got that name from, but it's common usage in Zild. So the denizens/survivors of/in Afghanistan must be Afghanis.

I once lived in an apartment with a bunch of other people, one of whom had an Afghan hound called "Dumbo". The name came from her long, floppy ears, but, boy was she stupid. When she wanted to sleep on the lawn, sleep on the lawn she would, even when it poured down and it was only a few steps to the shelter of the verandah. That's dumb!

But not as dumb as another friend's Irish setter, which loved lying in the middle of a busy road on the warm asphalt. She got run over one day, surprise, surprise, and had both her front legs fractured. She was taken to the vet and splinted up. The next day, guess where she hobbled to have her morning kip? Yup, you guessed it.



The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#43185 09/28/2001 7:30 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,055
old hand
old hand
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,055
> As a contribution to the war effort, some clever insult ought be concocted

Häää?!!?
This ain't about Tommys 'n Krauts!

#43186 09/28/2001 7:36 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,055
old hand
old hand
Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,055
From where I'm standing 'Afghan' has a WHOLE 'nother meaning, but then again I'm prolly too young for dogs 'n chocy biscuits - and, well, vice versa.

BTW, I always thought cocker spaniels were the most stupid muts alive.


#43187 09/28/2001 11:33 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,605
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,605
the most stupid muts alive
Nope. You may be thinking of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, which looks like a small cocker and is seriously mentally challenged -- but the boobie prize goes to the papilion.

And border collies are the smartest.
Now that should start a fight!



#43188 09/28/2001 12:42 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 3,065
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 3,065
Isn't there also a sort of shaggy sheepskin coat called an Afghan?

Bingley


Bingley
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,803
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,803
I thunk they were *all the most stupid muts [sic] alive. Hey, they think we're the greatest thing since Alpeaux; I rest my case.


#43190 10/01/2001 12:15 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 6,511
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 6,511
by notes: From where I'm standing 'Afghan' has a WHOLE 'nother meaning

Und?



Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,917
Posts230,573
Members9,211
Most Online17,319
Apr 8th, 2026
Newest Members
Boo boo kitty fu, peterreineck, Peripatetic Toad, JerryC, blvd
9,211 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 11,365
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,974
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2026 Wordsmith

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1