I work in a hospital and we're required to write with black ink. They provide the cheapest pens available, you know, those clear plastic ones that crack around the point or explode. I tried taking decent pens of my own but they all disappeared. I complained so much about losing pens that my mom got me one that has a string on the cap to go around my neck. I felt such a fool walking around with the empty cap around my neck while I looked for the pen that I gave up. Recently some friends gave me a pack of click type pens in clear pastel colours which I velcro into my notebook. Between the velcro and the fact that my name is printed on them they have been finding their way home.
I detest using a dull pencil so I bring my own mechanical pencils, cheap ones, from home.
At home I use any pen that writes smoothly but I like to use gel pens as the colour emphasizes that I'm not at work, they also help me to slow down and think about my handwriting. Speaking of which, I still bless the high school teacher that told my parents that my handwriting was so bad because my hand couldn't keep up with my brain. After that when they complained I told them it was a sign of intelligence.