RE: this pen of Harry’s is the kind that has the little lever which draws the ink up into a rubber sac. I haven’t tried it to see if it works, since I’ve assumed it won’t and I don’t want to get it (and me) all messy trying.

This style of pen was still common when i was a child, and yes, the rubber ink bladder can dry out, and get small holes (try plain warm water.. and see if it leaks.--sometimes dried ink in the pen needs to be washed out too, and plain warm (baby bath temp) water is fine.

if it does, there are places that repair/replace the bladders (or it can be 'retro fitted' to hold cartidges.) --the pump lever will remain, but will no longer function.

you might find you also have to replace the nib(if you want to use the pen) , because as WOW pointed out above, nib of pens (like shoes) come to 'fit a hand'. many pens have easy to replace nibs and the best are gold (which quickly mold to fit you 'hand'.
---------------------------------
i tend to do crossword puzzles in ink.. occational they become messy as a result, but more often, i get most of the crosses done, and end up with one corner with several blank squares. (i manage to complete the sunday NYTimes puzzle about 1 week in 3)