#40843 09/07/01 04:31 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just for fun:

http://www.rit.edu/~cyberwww/8.htm

Or Google "The Lead Pencil Club" for several links.

One thing to be said for lead pencils - they don't leak ink at high altitudes.

#40844 09/07/01 05:47 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks so much for starting this thread, Helen! I love pens. My current favorites are the Pilot V-5 Extra Fine Point roller ball pens, which come in lots of colors. They're great for taking notes in class because they write smoothly and the ink dries super-fast.
I would like to get a fountain pen from Levenger (hi Alex) eventually, but I'm not sure it will fit into my student's budget at the moment.

#40845 09/08/01 03:52 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
You can buy tons of pens, and put them around, BUT when you need a pen - usually near the telephone -
NO ONE is available. So - if you are lucky - you can steal the coloured pencils of the children, or the pencil for the eyes..
When it is too late, they suddenly appear again.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Emanuela: many years ago I read a very amusing essay by Robert Haven Schauffler, entitled "The Malice of Objects." Alas, no can find on Internet. But someone has usurped his title, and some of his ideas:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pardos/ArchiveMalice.html

#40847 09/08/01 08:38 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: I can't find the dates for Robert Haven Schauffler, but one of his princpal malicious objects was the collar button that always managed to find the darkest corner under the dresser. Outside of a few ministers I don't remember anybody wearing collar buttons in the thirties. I didn't mean "usurp" to sound harsh. I was just feeling frustrated at being unable to locate the essay I read, which was in an American magazine, can't remember which one. At that date American magazines were not as often read in UK as they are now, so I don't suspect plagiarism.

P.S. I finally found his dates:1879 - 1969. Seems entirely possible that he wrote the essay prior to the thirties.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pens are one thing; use of them is another. I'm hopeless at handwriting and always have been. It's almost as if I was born to be a doctor. When I was lecturing, my students awarded me the wooden spoon prize for the worst handwriting every semester. It got to the point where I would have been disappointed if it had gone elsewhere ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>collar button that always managed to find the darkest corner under the dresser.

OOOOH. You gave me a chance to tie two threads together. In our household it has been empirically established that our clothes dryer has transmutational qualities, some of which should bear warning labels relating to quantum physics.

The heat of our dryer turns socks into wire clothes hangers. That's why our socks disappear and we are overrun with hangers.

TEd

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree with Emanuela's law! It also holds for flashlights and scissors and needle-nose pliers (why do I suddenly want to break into a chorus of "My Favorite Things"?).

I'm hopeless at handwritingYou are not, sir!

Several years ago, my husband and my brother- and sister-in-law dragged me to see somebody I'd barely heard of, but he turned out to be pretty funny. I think it was George Carlin. Anyway, one of the things we still talk about is his explanation that, somewhere in the universe, there is a humongous pile of Lost Things: millions of odd socks, etc.
So Ted, if you can just locate this pile, you'll find all the socks. Oh--also, it is not known how the things get TO
the pile--they just appear.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The thing I find mysterious - and I'm absolutely certain that it must be tied very closely to the physics surrounding Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle - is the way that physical and inert things turn up precisely one minute after you don't need them any more.

It must be related somehow to the mental situation where you can't remember a name when you meet someone, um and ah to cover up for the fact that you have forgotten their name, then remember it as you walk away ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 907 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith