Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#40833 09/06/01 06:45 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I just splurged on a nice pen for the first time in my life, a roller ball pen from the Levenger catalog. I don't think I could bear to go back to using ball point pens again.

#40834 09/06/01 07:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pens have a very high turnover rate in my employ. I get the cheapest kind I can as long as they don't blot. I run one out of ink once in a puce moon.

#40835 09/06/01 07:22 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
crossing threads a bit, Jackie responded to "a clump of words" by pointing out, when she sit down to right, organization is the first step. for me, the writing impliment makes a big difference. there are certain words, that require special writing impliments.. i positively hate writing in pencil. Pencils are okay for doodling or drawing..

i remember being taught that is was rude to send a typed personal letter, but now days, about half my letters to family are composed on a PC, and printed..

Alex, what is it about your new roller ball pen makes is special- how does effect your relationship to the words you write?

#40836 09/06/01 07:49 PM
F
addict
addict
F
The best pens I have ever used were a brand called "Stylist" pens. The architect's office where I used to work used them almost exclusively. They are like a Cross between a felt-tip and a Sharpie, but more durable than a felt-tip and they don't bleed as much as a Sharpie. They also come in tons of neat colors (burgundy, lavender, sky...) They gave me a box of them when I left (I often expressed my love for the Stylists) and I'm almost out. <sob>

I think I like them so much because I just feel so... professional using them. Anything I write or draw with them seems that much more polished. Purely psychological, I'm sure. It was my first job out of college and will always be equated with professionalism in my mind.

#40837 09/06/01 08:50 PM
F
F
I really like those fine, felt-tipped pens - they make precise lines without the hair-thin white trails you sometimes see in lines made by ballpoint pens where the ink didn't get. And the texture is so nice. I'm an aspiring techie, but I'm not sure what a "Sharpie" is - perhaps I just described one.

#40838 09/07/01 01:58 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I don't know about your part of the U.S., but in this area the expression "ink pen" is exclusively a black English (Ebonics )word for "pen" [of any type as opposed to a pencil, crayon or other writing instrument] and "pen" is not used by itself by black English speakers.

#40839 09/07/01 02:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I read the term "ink pen" I immediately assumed fountain pen.

While on the subject, I have a really nice (and not cheap) Pelikan Toledo that sits in its pen case waiting for the time when I can autograph my first published book. (Might be a while :(>). I normally use a fountain pen (Waterman with medium gold nib) just because I like the way it feels in my hand.

TEd
#40840 09/07/01 02:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I read the term "ink pen" I immediately assumed fountain pen.

I heard this term as a youth in Chicago and admit I was always confused. I have since heard on reliable authority that in some parts of the country pronunciation of the words pen and pin are indistiguishable, so the modifier ink would be used to distinguish it from, say, Aint Bea's brooch.

#40841 09/07/01 02:42 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fountain pens-- real fountain pen, not like my Waterman that uses cartridges, are becoming collectors items. and cursive writing, (script) is also falling by the way side.. it is no longer a required part of the curriculum in NYC, and many kids never really learn it.

when i was a child, we spent a half hour a day learning and practicing and were always graded on it.

i recognize 4(5?) kinds of "liquid ink pens".. 1 Dip pens, (which are dipped into an ink well) 2 fountain pens, with a "fountain" mechanism to fill them from inks wells, 3 cartridge pens, similar to fountain pens, but filled with cartridges, 4 liquid ink roller balls, (ie, Uni ball, pilot V ball or V7,) or 5 gel writers. (Oh I forgot, dispossable fountain pens.)
i am not sure if gel writers are different enough to be a seperate category.

there are also ball point pens--click to expose point, (with a sticky type ink) and "sticks" (ie a bic stick). felt tip pens, (flair or sharpies). Brush type markers, both water based and permenent ink.

Ink can be india type-- which is thicker, and more opaque, or liquid ink, (waterman, or other brands) and clear liquid "paint". the last type can be used to color caligraphy illuminations. It can be purchased or bought. (many kinds of plant material can be mashed in pure alcohol to create these kinds of inks. an opal blue comes from pink and blue batchelor buttons flowers, in alcohol base; golden yellow, from onion skins.)

but i have never made old fashioned black ink (iron and gaul in acid).

#40842 09/07/01 04:21 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
For a decent stick pen, disposable, try the pen "Blackfoot Indian" pen manufactured by the Native American tribe of the same name. Lasts a long time which was an important feature for a reporter in the field. Found my first one in a military post exchange but have seen then in stationery stores since then. Good all 'rounders at a moderate price. They make other types of pens, too.
The only thing I could find for a link was a description in a travel piece (as follows)

"The Blackfeet's tribal headquarters and main commercial center is Browning (pop. 1,170), located on US-2 near the eastern entrance to Glacier National Park. Like many reservation towns, Browning has a desolate and depressing feel to it, but there are a couple of places worth stopping at, including the Museum of the Plains Indian (daily 9 AM-5 PM June-Sept., Mon.-Fri. 10 AM-4:30 PM rest of the year; free), near the west end of town at the junction of US-2 and US-89. Operated by the U.S. government's Bureau of Indian Affairs, the bland building contains a small collection of Plains Indian arts and crafts, mostly blankets and jewelry. Much more interesting, though harder to find, is the Blackfoot Indian Writing Company —maker of the finest Number 2s in the country, as well as Lindy pens—which you can tour informally (Mon.-Fri. 8 AM-2 PM; free; 406/338-2535 or 800/392-7326) They have a catalogue. The factory lies a mile off US-2 on the southeast edge of town, on the road to Heart Butte."
(bold and italic added by wow)
Edit: Tried the 800 number - no longer in service. Sorry!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 907 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith