Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#40823 09/05/01 04:13 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
in Q & A, inkhorn came up.. and i touch on pens, and ink, and thought about all the words i use for writting.. and then about other words for writting.. and there are so many.. it might be fun to explore what we use to mark a surface, and what surfaces we mark, and how, with what.. open to all technologies.. from the oldest to the most up to date..

ink horns= ink bottles.. i have some pens that i fill from an ink bottle, and few pens that i dip into an ink bottte to use. my every day fountain pens tend to use cartridges.. (purple ink,at the present) or are pilot disposable fountain pens.
bottled ink is india (black)--a pint size bottle, half used, and a small bottle, (2 oz.?) in what used to be called peacock blue, but is now called "de mar" --sea blue.

#40824 09/05/01 08:51 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I have a Mont Blanc presentation pen, inherited from Dad, that I use for real letters and I fill it from a bottle of ink from the Mont Blanc company.
I use ball point, roller balls et.al. for notes and other stuff and indelible markers where needed - like addressing packages, marking lower hems on linen with purchase date, and their clothes when boys were young and went on ski trips.
I also use China markers for glass and plastic and on glossy photos to ID them (you know the crayon-like markers that have a string so you can unravel the covering to expose more marker.)
When I was a reporter I was always searching for good pens that did not "drag" on the paper and allow for fast note taking!I love using Dad's Mont Blanc pen... it writes beautifully and I seem to think more about what I am writing and proceed as a slower pace than I do when jotting a note.

Here's a handy device someone told me about years ago : if someone asks to borrow a pen -- and you need it back -- hold on to the cap! It works.
But I would *never lend the Mont Blanc fountain pen - the point is worn just right for my hand.

#40825 09/05/01 09:08 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Chalk on sidewalks is always fun.

#40826 09/06/01 12:56 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In looking for etymology of "inkhorn" I came across a dandy synonym for it: it had been mentioned three times, but never defined.

Euphuism is an exaggeratedly fancy English style. It was
invented by John Lyly for his novel Euphues (1578), and
involves the use of abstruse classical allusion and figures
of speech of every kind, particularly similes, extravagant
metaphors, alliteration and assonance. Lyly's books were
enormously popular and his style was widely imitated.
Indeed, even Shakespeare (who sends it up in the
utterances of Fluellen and Pistol in Henry V and the
Sir-Topas swanking of Feste in Twelfth Night) was not
immune to it. In later English literature, the most
successful uses of it are Sir Thomas Urquhart's
magnificently engorged, 17th-century translation of
Rabelais, and the 19th-century, poetical extravagance of
Swinburne and his imitators (such as James Elroy Flecker).
It also underlies the dandified utterance of Restoration
comedy, and is most satisfyingly mocked by Sheridan (for
example in Mrs Malaprop's assaults on the language in The
Rivals) and by Joyce (in the parodies of romantic literature
in Ulysses).

#40827 09/06/01 12:34 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
i find it interesting the i still use a stylus to write.. Palm, and other PDA's all use a styluss. Modern technology, using ancient tools!

#40828 09/06/01 01:32 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I still cherish the crack the president of Parker Pen made about the ball point fifty years ago, that it was the only pen that would make a half dozen carbon copies but no original. I would not take an ink pen as a gift anymore.

#40829 09/06/01 03:11 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I would not take an ink pen as a gift anymore.

an ink pen? well what kind of pen do you use? a non-ink pen? only pencils? or do you mean a fountain type pen.. since i use liquid ink roller ball type pens all the time.. i love them..

or maybe you only use fine pointed sharpies.. which is a generation marker almost in my nieghborhood. all techies and kids know and love sharpies.. but non techs and those over 40 tend to say "Huh?" and know what you mean eventually, after you spend way too much time explaining.

#40830 09/06/01 06:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage, could you remind us what 'inkhorn' means, philologically speaking? For those dwindling few of us who are *generally more interested in words than in memoirs? (or am I missing something here?)

#40831 09/06/01 06:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It has been pointed out that an inkhorn was an ink bottle. Functionally, perhaps. To the best of my understanding it was indeed a horn, but it did function as a receptacle for ink into which the quill was dipped. The phrase "inkhorn terms" was born to evoke a picture of words which seemed to flow as freely from the inkhorns of the scholars as the ink itself.

#40832 09/06/01 06:38 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I was interested in the words used to define writing instument.. Stylus has come up at work with a roll out of Palm PDA's, and a surprizing number of well educated people didn't know the word..

and then ink horns came up.. and i thought of all the defining words for pens.. dip pens, quills, fountain pens, markers.. (to me, ink is stored in a well, and my india ink is poured into one for use..) and there is a special word for the stick inks used in asia.. but i don't know it..do you?

and i still don't understant what Dr. Bill meant when he said Ink Pens.
and i haven't scratched the surface.. which leads nicely into the kinds of surfaces.. in my school, we called them black boards.. but they were green...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 907 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith