geoff, the best person i met via a personal ad, was the guy who placed it the week he was un employeed--and said "un employed" by the time i met him, he had a job, but he said response to his ad was very low..

in personal ads, "professional" mean a person who has (or who thinks they have!) a "better" job.. as pointed out, there are no professional garbage collectors (dustmen) because no one would think to do it for a hobby. and a cashiering at a local food store? in the same catagory as garbage men.

i actually think is it sad. plumbers, electricians, telephone line managers, welders, -- any number of professions require intellect, even if they are physical work. but there exist a bias against them. women who call them selves professional are advertizing to say, i am not interested in anyone--i am only interested in meeting people with white collar jobs.. (or I am a snob and a bit of gold digger, i have a job, but i want to meet met men who earn even more money than i do, and i want them to spend a good portion on me!)

you should learn who's is the resident match maker here at AWAD, and get them working for you... met another word lover-- you'll start out with 2 things in common, love of words and AWAD...
its not me!, and i am not in the market for someone!