Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Goodness, poor Dr. Bill is getting "what for" on an innocent remark ... just goes to show that -- with this bunch -- not even remarkable age gets you cut any slack!
Now, dear Whit brings up a good point about intelligence and acting/singing etc : Just consider this : you may have 50 or 60 pages of dialogue to memorize, you have to listen to other actors and respond with appropriate facial and body gestures, you have to remember your lines while following directions as to where to sit, stand, move, when and to where...and possibly, all the while, managing a Period Costume and even a wig ... and then, if it's film you have to "hit the marks" ...
Wait a minute! Why would anyone ... ah, yes, the money??
Is this what's called a circular arguement?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
the money

(in my experience) comes about last on the list. You can earn more working for McDogburgers than most actors pick up on a regular basis. No, the motivation is elswhere!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lovely post, Helen.
==========================================================

(in my experience) comes about last on the list. You can earn more working for McDogburgers than most actors pick up on a regular basis. No, the motivation is elswhere!You should know, Sweetie.

#38829 08/22/01 04:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My father told me the story of his cousin who, during WW II, was a shipbuilder in the Twin Cities. They built LSTs, which were turned out by the thousands for the war effort. One of these was ill-fated from the start. It slid off the ways into the Mississippi and promptly sank to the bottom. After raising the transport boat, they fixed it and tried again. Sploosh. Bubble. Thud. Down to the bottom. This happened again and again until at last there was a newspaper story about "The Ship that Faced a Thousand Launches."

Later they gave it to George VI, to use as a motor launch. He named her the HMS West; certainly, the Good King's Launch is West.

TEd
#38830 08/22/01 04:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Ted--I mean Dr. Spooner,

Good King's Launch is West.
Took me a minute, but I got it!
Oh, Honey, I am SO glad you're posting again!

#38831 08/23/01 03:43 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Or to simplify (or maybe confuse):

a----------------------b--------------c

when ab:ac = bc:ab, we have our Golden ratio. This is part of the basis of fractals, and there can be no doubting that these are beautiful.

Although a bit long, I came across something a while ago which has quite an interesting thesis built on the foundation of the golden ratio – I offer it for your consideration!

The golden section is a mathematical ratio of (very) approximately 8:5… […]The ratio can be derived from the Fibonacci series […] each pair of digits slowly converges – after a bit of wobbling – more and more accurately on the ratio. Both the golden rule and the Fibonacci series itself are omnipresent in nature: in the whorls of the pinecone or the seedhead of the sunflower, in the number of the daisy’s petals, in the spirals of the nautilus or the snail’s shell.

The golden section casts its spell over all the arts. The ratio, especially in the form of the ‘golden rectangle’, was often applied to the proportions of classical architecture, and was employed in the construction of the pyramids. In painting the division is often used to position the horizon line or significant detail within the picture, lending the composition an intrinsic rightness. Artists from Leonardo to Seurat used the division in a highly complex way […] It naturally marks the main point of dénouement in many films, dramas and operas.

Perhaps the most significant appearance of the golden section is in music. If you divide the thirteen notes of the chromatic scale from C to C at the golden section, you land on the eighth, the dominant – G. This is the first new note we encounter in the harmonic series. To oversimplify grossly: musical notes are rarely pure, and the dominant, the fifth, is the other note we tend to hear singing above the main note in a musical sound. The relationship between tonic and dominant is the basis for practically the whole of Western music – and this is not dry theory, it’s just the way we hear things […] It seems reasonable to conclude that this vibrational relationship – and we’re talking about all sounds here, not just music – must have penetrated to every part of our spiritual, mental and physical constitution.

In short the golden section is a division we often can’t help making. In poetry its most explicit manifestation – there are plenty of others – is in the division of the sonnet […] evolved organically … as with our horizon line, there’s just a rightness to it… if sonnets had broken smack in the middle, they just wouldn’t have been any fun to write and people wouldn’t have written them.”

from Don Patterson’s Introduction to 101 Sonnets - from Shakespeare to Heaney
Faber & Faber, ISBN 0-571-19732-9

#38832 08/23/01 05:49 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
So, beauty is not random. The Great Mathematician who created the universe used numbers in all his designs.

#38833 08/23/01 06:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: So, beauty is not random.

no-- not, at least, beauty that can be experienced in a physical sense-- either seen or heard or even felt..i suppose there is a certain beauty in taste, and aroma's as well-- but some of this might also be learned--one of my favorite aromas is faint sulfur -- an aroma that is more often called a "smelly". but as a child, i was often prescribed sulfur drugs for strep throat and other infections. So i came to associate the smell of sulfur with "feeling better".. it came to have very positive assoications for me.

but beauty can be abstract-- we have collected many beautiful poems here-- and Max spoke of collecting and using pretty words..
courage can be beautiful -- and love. and dear dr bill, i think you do half the human race a disservice by saying men don't aspire to beauty. (or rather that they don't hold it as high as other attributes) I certain think men can be as beautiful as women-- both physically and abstractly.. but i do recognize that in general, beauty is always considered a attribute in a women, and an aside in a man.

i think the teaching (but not often the religions that grew from them) of Christ and Elijah and Mohammad are beautiful.

in languages, some sound beautiful, french and spanish, particuarly, but the caligraphy of arabic (or farsi, or any of the languages that use the arabic alphabet) is the most beautiful to look at.. language has many ways to be beautiful.

and mathematics is filled with beauty--or perhaps it is that, mathematics is used to express -- to make less abtract, some of the beauty of nature.

but there is random beauty-- a hot yellow daffoldil, a lone spot of color in a late winter slathering of heavy wet snow. there is no mathematics in that.. but there is beauty.

#38834 08/23/01 06:35 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The mathematical background of many things keeps turning up. When I first saw fractals, I thought they were products of chaos. But, oh, dear, no. It would not surprise me to find that other sensory experiences have a numerical background as yet undescribed.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith