About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#38816 08/20/01 06:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Chemeng concedes: All right, I mis-read the post.

I dunno. Looks to me like you read it right. Dr. Bill read it wrong.

#38817 08/20/01 07:25 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I didn't read it wrong, but I probably wrote it wrong.

#38818 08/20/01 07:42 PM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Unfortunately others' preconceptions are not as troublesome as the unwarrantedly inflattering self-image that so many people have that among other things makes the plastic surgeons needlessly rich.

#38820 08/20/01 10:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Since men are seldom regarded as beautiful

Says you.

#38821 08/20/01 11:45 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Rapunzel: Some young boys, and a few adolescent males may be beautiful, but I have never seen an adult male that I could call beautiful. Handsome, attractive, yes, but beautiful? No. True femininity is inherently beautiful. An awful lot of money is spent foolishly on clothing and cosmetics by women who would be beautiful in a burlap sack or grass skirt. A smile is the only really essential make-up.

#38822 08/21/01 02:02 AM
D
addict
addict
D
Or to simplify (or maybe confuse):

a----------------------b--------------c

when ab:ac = bc:ab, we have our Golden ratio. This is part of the basis of fractals, and there can be no doubting that these are beautiful.

#38823 08/21/01 02:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Both beauty and intellect convey power, but a woman might find a career as an entertainer far more
profitable than as a financier.

Dear Dr. Bill: I have to say I take some umbrage at the association of an entertainment career with a lower intellect. Intellect, depth, and talent are always the key ingredients that make certain performers true artists that transcend and jump out from the rest and reach the hearts and better the lives of millions with their work (see Judy Garland, see Joni Mitchell). I know you may not have intended it to sound that way. But since it did to an extent, and as someone who has spent a good part of his life onstage, I had to point out that the idea of entertainers of any gender being equated with a lower intellect makes me bristle...and is just a silly notion. Actually the gift of rhythm and feeling required for transforming music, acting, dance, etc. into art usually denotes a heightened intellect, even in those who choose to sell-out their integrity and perform at shallow levels for the almighty buck (sadly, these are the ones who usually do themselves in with booze or drugs, etc...hell, even Elvis was frustrated at the level of artistry his image entrapped him with, thus his self-destructive early demise). But I bet one of those old bluesmen like Mississippi John Hurt could talk circles of philosophy, albeit in simpler words, around any one of us here!

>Remember, when someone gets a blackeye we say, "You've got a beaut! A strange connotation!

>"I love life. But I don't love life because it is pretty. Prettiness is only clothes-deep. I am a truer lover than that. I love it naked. There is beauty to me even in its ugliness. In fact, I deny the ugliness entirely, for its vices are often nobler than its virtues, and nearly always closer to a revelation....
To me, the tragic alone has that significant beauty which is truth. It is the meaning of life--and the hope. The noblest is eternally the most tragic. The people who succeed and do not push on to a greater failure are the spiritual middle-classers. Their stopping at success is the proof of their compromising insignificance. How petty their dreams must have been!"

--Eugene O'Neill, from the biography by Barbara and Arthur Gelb

#38824 08/21/01 03:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Both beauty and intellect convey power, but a woman might find a career as an entertainer far more
profitable than as a financier.

Dear Dr. Bill: I have to say I take some umbrage at the association of an entertainment career with a lower intellect.

Mercy--I didn't interpret his statement that way at all! I thought the statement referred to the likelihood that it would be easier for a woman to be accepted, and thus garner more income, as an entertainer rather that as a
financier.

That's some philosophy you quoted there, Sweetie. Mr.
O'Neill clearly had a lot more courage than I do.

#38825 08/21/01 04:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thomas Cahill, in his book, How the Irish Saved Civilization, spoke of three enduring irish values, Beauty, Courage, and Generosity.

like many cultural value systems, parts are interlocked.. the irish see a terrible beauty in things other see as tragedy.. irish courage, is singular, personal courage. and it a value that is commonly seen in firehouses -- where the irish are often the dominant group. while fire fighters work as a team or company-- each fire fighter must display single handed personal courage to enter a burning building.. to be couragous, it to be beautiful. -- and to risk your life, to save anothers, is the ultimate act of generousity.

these values are very evident as you look at works of irish authors.. the tragic/ comedy by Synge-- Playboy of the Western World is a wonderful example.. but Cahill gives other.. and certain they where taught to me-- i clearly remember being told once when something frightened me, that -- there was nothing wrong with being frightened, but fear was no excuse for not doing something..

I was in my thirties before i understood what an anxiety attack was-- and then was so surprised that people were stopped by them. I realized i had such attacks, but it never once occured to me, that i was supposed to let them stop me -- or that i should do something to avoid them.. beauty can be achived in overcoming your fears.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 953 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith