In a comedy show on the CBC several years ago a Mountie is being sent undercover to investigate a group promoting English only. The commissioner asks him some questions to test his understanding of the issues involved.

Q: Sargeant, what do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?
A: Tri-lingual, sir.
Q: What about someone who speaks 2 languages?
A: Bilingual, sir.
Q: Someone who speaks one language?
A: Anglo-Saxon, sir.

My experience has been the same as Jackie's, speaking French has given me new insight into the origin of English words. (e.g. One the came up the other day: valid means able-bodied in French - hence invalid for someone who is not.) German, as well, gives many clues to the origins of our language and it gives me satisfaction to be able to read and understand something in the original language.

The quote that started this thread can, in my opinion, be taken to be a specific reference language or to the culture in general, as is your want, because you can't learn a language without getting at least some idea of the culture behind it. When you learn something about a different culture it makes you to think about how your culture deals with the same issue. For instance, in France you are guilty until proven innocent. Is that worse or better than systems based on the British tradition? You learn more about yourself and your beliefs by comparing and contrasting with others.