According to the Saturday (UK) Times USA and UK are just about at war with each other following the comments made about Anne Robinson on the "The Weakest Link", and lists an escalation of exchanges in the press. While I personally don't like watching Anne Robinson, the Times makes the point that Anne's role in the programme is seen as a (n intended) joke by most UK viewers. In the UK Anne is best known and loved for her leading role in a consumer watchdog programme. So we just see her as somebody pretending to be wittily rude. As someone mentioned recently (too lazy to look it it up emoticon) smut is ok if the level of wit is greater than that of the smut. I feel the same way about rudeness and "The (UK) Weakest Link" fails for me on that count. Similarly with "Dog Eat Dog" and other programs of that ilk, and the interview manner of some political commentators.
One of the delights of this forum for me (a relative newcomer) is that the wit and erudition almost without exception far outweighs the smut and rudeness (I know - it's just teasing).
Rod