I thought about putting this in the thread about Etruscan, but I think it deserves its own.

The April issue of Natural History (publication of AMNH) has an article about dying languages- (unfortunately, the Natural History site still is featuring the March issue, and I don't know if the article will be available on line.)–but I am including the URL anyway. http://www.amnh.org/naturalhistory/index.html

Jared Diamond's article focuses on a group of people in the Crimea who spoke a form of Germanic language (the speakers of the this language disappeared in 1800's) There is some evidence –just enough to be tantalizing– that the language was a Visigoth German. How visigoth german speaker end up in crimea-- and how they relate to Frisians are just some of the interesting points of the artilcle!

The article touch on other lost and dying languages.. And is well worth reading..
Of course, I don't have the magazine with me– and the title – Fractured ? Forgotten? The (something) Languages.. refuses to come to a focus--
Has any one else had a chance to read it? (I am a AMNH fan)