the triboluminesence bit?

I thought this was -- and now i am not sure i have the right word-- pyroelectric-- which my M-W10th says is related to a change in temperature- but i was looking for a py word for the effect of pressure-- (used in "Quartz" cystal watches-- ) which wintergreen, (and yes, it must be wintergreen, peppermints or spearmints candies won't work) exhibits.

As you apply pressure to the candy, you get small flashes of electric discharge-- similar to static. --
the same effect can't be seen with the naked eye, but if you put scotch (cellophane tape) on glass, then put the glass on top of photographic paper, (exposed paper)-- and peel the tape of the glass, you get a series of "sparks" which show up clearly once the film has been developed... (an other weird science game to play with your kids--) the cheap stuff works better than the expensive stuff.

I used to encourage fun science projects like this-- but i drew the line when my teen age son started to make bombs-- (not serious bombs, but something called "popcorn bombs" made out of tin foil, they expand and pop open like a grain of popcorn-- the make a loud poppin noise too, and scare the dickens out of you! Still, i didn't think bomb making was a good hobbie for home!) but since he saw no harm (he wasn't thinking of blowing things up, just of scaring his sister and her friends) He was doing out in the open, not secretly, so it was easy to put a stop to it.