Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Avy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
> Avy, I was just thinking: what if he deleted the post after you saw it?

No, No Jackie! Wouldn't that show up? Even if there is a sneaky way of deleting posts - I don't think that is it. It doesn't explain the stranger bit.
If Rubrick was a stranger last March - I think gremlin in the software is the answer. By some mistake a post was picked up from last March and put into a current thread. The thread was very current of that I am sure - I can't swear the post was current.
As far as the context - it was one line post with a very general remark - so it didn't look out of context. When I read it I thought why isn't anybody responding to him. Why isn't anybody welcoming him back.
I know I must sound really strange (Also I'm begining to hate this word).

If it makes me look any better - I have never made claims to being abducted by aliens. And having said this she packs her bags to go on a long holiday.

#23940 03/22/01 02:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight
Zone!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Avy, dear, take a deep breath and relax. Now, look at this post and the thread it is in.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=1140

Does it look familiar? See the dates on the posts? Rubrick posted in May 2000, and it remained buried in the archives until I resurrected it with a responsive post a couple of days ago. I am the culprit in this confusion.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
i'd include the TM sign here...

I was going to PM but then thought, well, it may be of use to someone else who hasn't read about this issue before, so here goes.

To insert a special character, use the numeric keypad like so:

Hold down the <Alt> key
Press the <Insert> key underneath the <1> on the right hand side of keyboard
Then press the 3-digit code for the character you want
Then release the <Alt> key

So for ™ you would go ALT + sequence of Ins, 1,5,3 then release ALT

Other codes include:
188 = ¼
189 = ½
190 = ¾
169 = ©
174 = ®
232 = è
233 = é
234 = ê
223 = ß (useful for swearing in German!)
254 = þ (useful for swearing in Old English!)

Hope this helps.

If you want a full list of all the weird’n’wonderful characters available, go here:
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/charset/iso)64-095.gif
(and its associated pages)

If this is all sounding immensely complicated, told I am the Apple system is nearly twice as easy which, since their latest 'fast' processors are over twice as slow as our current PCs', is probably just as well!

Avy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
> http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=1140

Oh! Okay - now I get it.

Sorry to you all for wasting your time, but maybe it was entertaining?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If this is all sounding immensely complicated, told I am the Apple system is nearly twice as easy which, since their latest 'fast' processors are over twice as slow as our current PCs', is probably just as well!

Unnoticed that did not go.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, Mav, don't knock Macs. They have this lovely Boooonnnng! sound when they start up. And it's tuneable using one of those little doohickies accessible from the Command button, which was cleverly copied from the Commodore 64, the performance of which Macs still aspire to.

Anyhow, if you have two Macs, and you tune that ear-friendly Boooonnnng! just right you have one very useful doorbell.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Oh, Mav, thank you for that. I've had the list of alt+### commands, but could never get them to work. Nobody ever actuallyÖ mentioned the insert part to me!

[Now, why doesn't alt+153 make a TM instead of an Ö? emoticon]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Now why doesn't alt+153 make a TM instead of an Ö?

Try using the zero key instead of insert. In other words, alt+0153.
I didn't know that the insert key could be used for those commands--there must be another whole list of symbols to be made with insert. Hmmm...

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yes, the <0> key on my right hand keypad is named 'Ins' as well as zero - I did not mean the <Insert> key up by <Home> and <Delete>, which is why I said down underneath the <1> key

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 927 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith