Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23397 03/18/01 02:14 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear AnnaS (re: you last post in *!@%&* thread) and all fellow posters ...
Tried to connect to Saturday, March 17th, Chat with Maureen Dezell and could not get into the "connect" box either.
I shot off a note to MaxQ to ask if he got into chat and he wrote back that when he tried to get on he was advised the chat was cancelled.
Anyone else get that?
When I thought a bit about it .... well, it was St. Patrick's Day, she does work in Boston, and she is Irish !
Hmmmmmm !
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not sure this warranted a new thread (worried that jmh's 'Helpful Hints' is gonna get forced below the fold again) but, anyway, I didn't get any word that the chat had been canceled.
You're probably right, though, St Patrick's Day does have its priorities!

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
AnnaS : I hate to see the Helpful Hints drop down the list and, like you, try to keep an eye on it.
One thing I found that helps is to go to Edit Profile and click on Display preferences and change the "parent Posts' and "Posts" to 20 from the default 10 views. Or have you done that already?
Aloha
wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"St Patrick's Day does have its priorities!"

"Well, it was St. Patrick's Day, she does work in Boston, and she is Irish !
Hmmmmmm !"
Sounds like hints the problem was not in the software.

Could it be the guest was gassed?

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
wow
AnnaS : I hate to see the Helpful Hints drop down the list and, like you, try to keep an eye on it.

Just to let you know, all of you, gurus of AWADTALK, (old hand, PoohBah, addicts, journeymen, veterans, etc) I am one newcomer who is very touched by your tender loving care.

chronist

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Could it be the guest was gassed?

Saints preserve us! Have a bit of charity, laddie.
Like all good Irish women she was home presiding over the gathering for St. Patrick's Day ... and excercising her Matriarchal prerogatives to keep everything about the celebration in good order.
wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"in good order" = well oiled?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

worried that jmh's 'Helpful Hints' is gonna get forced below the fold again

This is going to be a recurring problem, and we don't want people to be put off using this section of the board, so could we ask someone (probably jo herself) to take on the responsibility of adding a short note (maybe just saying "Back to to the top" or something similar)to the helpful hints thread every so often, just to move it back to the top. To get round the problem of it then becoming unmanageably large, would adding a message and then deleting it later keep it in position?

Bingley

Bingley
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Perhaps the webmaster or our wonderful Anu could set up a separate category .. like the FAQ thingie ?
wow

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Won't just editing a post over and over keep the thread at the top? That way, the thread doesn't have to keep getting longer.

GO SPARTANS!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Won't just editing a post over and over keep the thread at the top? That way, the thread doesn't have to keep
getting longer.

I think that posts keep their original date (and position) no matter when edited, but. I also think that jo has added to the thread and then immediately deleted the new post, which removes any trace but has the effect of moving it back to the top (briefly ;). [whoever added the last post could try this and confirm.]

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hi all,

You may have noticed that the thread pops back to top page every once in a while. I have done this by copying then deleting my post (which is the last one down) and posting a response to wow with exactly same text. This method keeps the thread from getting longer. I try to do it every so often to keep it on top.

I can`t get to AWAD every day though so sometimes it will go three days, or so, before it is brought up again, but I don`t think that is too bad. I don`t want to foist the responsibility on Jo. I think she has done more than she had to in putting all this info together and I really don`t mind.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear belMarduk: I applaud your interest in helping newcomers enjoy and use the board.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 953 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith