Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#23034 03/16/01 12:00 AM
H
Hyla Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
H
With results in from 15 people, it looks like AWAD does have a disproportionate number of lefties present (or at least a disproportionate number responded). In the population, about 11% of us are lefties, here on the board, it's 33.33%.

Lefties responding: Max Q, Hyla, bridget96, maverick, AnnaStrophic

Righties: Sparteye, BlanchePatch, FiberBabe, of troy, tsuwm, wwh, wow, Marianna, Jazzo, Faldage

So, not quite the same results as our initial polling figures, but the final conclusion is about the same. [fiercely-holding-back-the-urge-to-point-out-the-contrast-with-a-recent-presidential-election-emoticon]

Hyla

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Change the lists. I'm right handed

jimthedog

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You don't count. You're a dog.

R
R
Add another Lefty to the list. Unfortunately, at times it must mean I'm gauche.

R
R
Not to mention sinister.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Rouspeteur: I believe that you may singlehandedly make lefthandedness fashionable.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
In reply to:

You don't count. You're a dog.

Of course I count. What do you think this is: 1 2 3 4 5. What do you think I was doing when I was supposed to be at dog obediance school.

jimthedog

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Righty Tighty ...(lefty loosey).

As much as I'm overtly right handed, I question anyone's claim that it has become nature over nurture in human development, yet! I am so much more independently dexterous in my left hand, yet I cannot hit the side of a cow with a barn with it, and I'm getting better at zeroing in with a dart with my right hand (ducking from BeingCJ), but I have a clearly less sensitive touch with it... (all that electric bass slappin')

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Musick! How can a cow have a barn??

B
B
I'm Right handed, & so are both my girls

I'm getting better at zeroing in with a dart with my right hand,.... Musick dear that may have something to do with why you win a few games now!!

CJ

CJ
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Weren't you a missin' a wink?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Definitely a righty here Hyla. Where are we at now?

I am always a bit leery of “right hand you are this type of person/left hand you are another type” classifications. I find these things pigeonhole people – “ah yes, if you are a lefty you are an artist, a righty an accountant.” Harumph!

There are so many things that make a person what he is, not just genes. It seems like this type of thing totally dismisses the whole gestalt of becoming who you are, and plops your whole existence and character on one trait.

It’s kinda like birth dates. Once, while on vacation with a friend, we met up with a gentleman who claimed to be able to describe a person by his/her birthday. Upon learning that I was a Libra he proceeded to tell me that I was quiet and shy, unable to really decide on anything and that I let people take advantage of me because I was too timid to speak up. My friend was rolling around on the ground with laughter as that is soooo not me. Unblinking, our fortune-teller simply said, “well, her secondary sign is evidently stronger then.” [eyes rolling emoticon]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this type of thing totally dismisses the whole gestalt of becoming who you are, and plops your whole existence and character on one trait.

I agree--and what a misleading thing this can turn out to be, as you discovered. I really wonder how accurate these
"predictions" would prove if they were applied to people who had lived in some kind of desperate situation their whole lives? We can't be all nature or all nurture, let alone happenstance. As you say, we are a sum greater than all of our parts.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Musick dear that may have something to do with why you win a few games now!!
Weren't you a missin' a wink?

Ah--a piercing comment, and a pointed rejoinder, she said in a squeaky voice.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...as I take my tounge out of my cheek... I truly am starting to get worse (he says with shagrin(sp?))... I think I need another pretzel (he says, darting away to satin sheets)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I need another pretzel
I need a pretzel, too--a heavenly one, if you please.
Buckets of thanks.

G
old hand
old hand
G
What if you're a total spaz with both hands? I started out as a leftie, but got switched. Still do half the normal tasks left handed. One of my two sons is "gauche," the other 'droit." Me, I'm maladroit.

#23051 03/19/01 02:41 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My father is genetically disposed to be lefthanded, but when he was growing up the teachers would not permit him to use his left hand to write, and so he learned to write righthanded. As a result, he prefers to do most things lefthanded, including golf, but is very capable of doing things with both hands, such as bat, and yet does some things righthanded, including writing and bowling.

My father worked for many years in a managerial capacity for a large utility, and he bowled and golfed in the company leagues. He was pretty good, with a lot of power and control, bowling righthanded but golfing lefthanded. One spring, a new guy was transferred to the area, and he turned out to be a rather egotistic blowhard full of rodomontade (), and he proceeded to challenge everyone at everything, including card games, bowling and golf. The guy was pretty good, after all, but he apparently had a problem because he couldn't beat my dad at bowling.

Well, golf season came, and Mr Hotshot and my Dad eventually ended up in the same foursome for a league round. At that point, hotshot had seen my Dad write at work and bowl in the league, and naturally assumed that Dad was righthanded. Mr Hotshot decided to challenge my Dad to a sidebet regarding the round. My Dad accepted the challenge. Now, it seems that hotshot was ambidextrous, and enjoyed demonstrating his bilateral skills. "But," said the hotshot, thinking that Dad was righthanded, "to make it fair, let's golf lefthanded." "OK!", said Dad, as he teed off 330 yards down the middle of the fairway ...

H
Hyla Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
H
Okay - lots more data has (or have, which I know to be "right" but which never sounds right to me) poured in, but the results are holding pretty steady.

Lefties are now at 31%, and include: Max Q, Hyla, bridget96, maverick, AnnaStrophic, Rousepeteur, belligerentyouth, shanks

Righties are at 65%, and include: Sparteye, BlanchePatch, FiberBabe, of troy, tsuwm, wwh, wow, Marianna, Jazzo, Faldage, musick, BeingCJ, belMarduk, jmh, Capital Kiwi, RhubarbCommando, emanuela

Self-declared maladroits are at 4% (one person gets a big percentage in such a small group!): Geoff

So, I have drawn two conclusions from these results:

1. There definitely appears to be a disporportionate presence of lefties among this bunch.
2. Doing a survey is a remarkably effective way of feeling loved, as I have never received so many private messages in such a short time.

A final point, not directly related to the data, is that it is, sadly, impossible to paste into a post a colorful, 3D pie chart depicting these results. This is frustrating in the near term, but probably all in all a good thing, as we'd never tire of sticking stuff in here when we're really supposed to be talking about words. As an example of this tendency of ours, I give you this survey effort.

'Nuff said,

Hyla

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Geoff> I'm maladroit.

I empathize. I was a right-handed klutz, and then one day at the bookstore (a nominally safe place, if the bookshelves aren't too high) I stumbled(!) upon "Juggling for the Complete Klutz". having already mastered lesson one ("the drop"), I figured this was the hobby for me. so now, years later, I too am maladroit and can do things like shoot pool and shovel snow equally poorly right-or-left-handed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Doing a survey is a remarkably effective way of feeling loved, as I have never received so many private messages in such a short time.

Yeah, well try asking what mountain oysters are in the open forum... i had to purge half of my incoming private messages so as not to slow my processor down

where did you get the pie chart software? i wanted to do one with the birthday spread.

~b

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"...protecting processors from mountain oysters..." hmmmmmmmm, I'd better shut up now....

(ps. don't let WWH see this one )

old hand
old hand
>shoot pool... equally poorly right-or-left-handed.

Here's my solution: Drink more. I worry less about how physics is supposed to function the more hooch I have, so my pool game gets better the more I drink. It's no accident that pool tables and taverns go together like nerds and awk-sed. Shout out to the IT homies!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I worry less... pool tables and taverns

Are we talking gene pool?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 927 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith