I've taken a good look at the fixes. So affix is the general word for a variety of possibilities. And in this case we are talking of prefixes and suffixes?
The diminuative suffixes I think in our language can have an endearing as well as in a pejorative connotation. If we want to stay totally neutral, we place it the diminuative in front , like in English : een klein huis- a little house. When we use the suffixed form 'huisje' > little house, it all depends on context and intonation for being endearing or condescending.

Even schatje or Schätzchen can be used in pejorative manner.

Funny thing, I realized is that we have one word where the diminuative suffix is undetachable: 'meisje' - little girl or girl. We do not have the word 'meis', whereas we have the words 'jongen' - 'boy' and 'jongetje' - 'little boy'. "Meisje" goes straight up to young woman. Like in German "Mädchen" goes straight up to junge Frau.

( final comment on 'paisucho') I've looked up English and Dutch comments on the affair and found that the English have given a moderated version of the translation. All the Dutch translations give " klotelandje" which refers to
male reproductive parts: it's slang for 'balls'.

Last edited by BranShea; 11/15/09 01:18 PM.