It's been virtually 48 hours since the last post. I'm putting the results now.

A. cacomistle - a dung beetle by wofahulicodoc; one point for twosleepy's vote.

B. A small carnivorous raccoonlike mammal of Central America, having a black-banded tail. AHD*; one dang vote; bonus point for wofa

C. A bag of excrement left on a doorstep prior to ringing a doorbell and disappearing from sight around the hedge. by TheFallibleFiend; one point for making the hogmistress grin!

D. the muffled sound of a crowd of people talking in a thick fog by Branshea; one point from olly

E. The white fuzz sometimes found growing on the undersides of the leaves of certain species of maple. by Faldage; one point from Mr. Formerly Eta

F. A poor sermon, or other speech of advisement, or such a sermon delivered poorly, so as to be hard on the ear of the listener. Last but not least, twosleepy garners three points from TFF, Branshea, and Faldage. EDIT--this one got FOUR; I forgot tsuwm's.
===============================================================

*Now I must confess my other change in the OP: I left out the scientific name of the animal, for fear it would give too good a clue to the Latin scholars here.
cac·o·mis·tle

NOUN:

A small carnivorous raccoonlike mammal (Bassariscus sumichrasti) of Central America, having a black-banded tail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
American Spanish cacomiztle, from Nahuatl tlacomiztli : tlaco, half, part + miztli, mountain lion

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.
Copyright © 2000

===============================================================

Hmm--this is W & FUN, so...

twosleepy was so confused by Branshea and others' muffled sound of a crowd of people talking in a thick fog that she gave a poor sermon; TheFallibleFiend was so incensed by this that he left a bag of excrement on her doorstep, rang the doorbell and disappeared from sight around the hedge. In his haste he tripped over Jackie, the small carnivorous raccoonlike mammal, whereupon she accidentally ate the white fuzz sometimes found growing on the undersides of the leaves of certain species of maple. This gave her the trots, which wofa the dung beetle cleared away with no problem.

Last edited by Jackie; 10/03/09 02:21 AM.