Originally Posted By: Jackie
I shall paraphrase what's in the AP article (the page I found it on has lots of ads):

There is a "Support For Spelling" document being sent to primary schools saying there are too many exceptions for the "i before e, except after c" rule to be a viable one, and teachers should stop teaching it. For ex. sufficient, veil, and their.

Apparently they have a Spelling Society there(!). There are some supporters of continuing to teach the rule, saying it's one of the few that most people tend to remember.

On a personal note: I think I might actually live. I found out out the other night that Hubby's stomach upset was not food poisoning.

I totally support the concept of a SPELLING SOCIETY. I think it should be mandatory for teachers of
English Grammar and literature. The spell check mechanisms are OK if used properly, unfortunately too
many students rely on them. Give an essay test as I used to do, and see what it produces. I used to
make spelling a big part of my teaching, and would do so even more were I teaching today.
I am not a fan of 'texting' - and I don't care whose feelings that hurts. It is destroying the
concept of spelling.

----please, draw me a sheep----