Originally Posted By: doc_comfort
Nope, never heard a short generic term for computer. Never really felt the need to look for one.

Though it confuses some of my corrspondents one of the reasons I like "PC" is that it saves keystrokes over "computer"

Quote:
........ not sure I trust Dictionary.com.....does nothing to differentiate the multiple uses to which the web is now put.

OneLook reflects all current usages and irrefutably demonstrates semantic drift or what I call "smearing". That you don't trust it reveals your credentials as a pre-; no offense, in fact I used to prefer the pre-'s over the de-s

Originally Posted By: dale
Also I got the impression that "blog," "message board," "weblog," "website," and "Internet forum" are used pretty much to mean the same thing

Quote:
Though I'm almost completely not a technophile, I suspect a simple googling of these terms would reveal the differences.......(insert Faldagian rant about logical fallacies here).

Quote:
A message board allows messages to be posted.....An internet forum is simply a place for discussion......I suspect the last two have blurred somewhat. For example, I would regard this place as a forum rather than a bulletin board, but the link in the top corner obviously disagrees.

[/quote]

Ok but no matter the word I use I seem to draw barbs from everywhere so I'm still open to a pet name or " shortie" for (1) computer and one covering (2) sites of all kinds, like this one, where people talk about things

dalehileman