Nope, never heard a short generic term for computer. Never really felt the need to look for one. I'll leave the search to those who insist on saying "double-you pee double-you" for Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome.

I'm not sure I trust Dictionary.com at the best of times, and this definition is particularly lax and misleading. It certainly does nothing to differentiate the multiple uses to which the web is now put.

Originally Posted By: dale
Also I got the impression that "blog," "message board," "weblog," "website," and "Internet forum" are used pretty much to mean the same thing

Though I'm almost completely not a technophile, I suspect a simple googling of these terms would reveal the differences. A blog is (by definition) a weblog, which I like to think of as a public entry in a personal diary, or as a captain's log on a ship. Many may only have a blog on their website, but that no more makes them synonyms than people who only eat apples saying they eat lots of fruit (insert Faldagian rant about logical fallacies here).

A message board allows messages to be posted, and replies recieved in the same way a paper notice board would, though the replies and any subsequent discussion tends to be more public. An internet forum is simply a place for discussion of a particular brand of *stuff in the same way a as a public forum of old. I suspect the last two have blurred somewhat. For example, I would regard this place as a forum rather than a bulletin board, but the link in the top corner obviously disagrees.