About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
dalehileman #184267 04/13/09 04:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, I really don't know why I'm replying, but I still don't understand this thought:

"Mac is almost devoid of editing capability, requiring you to laboriously switch back and forth between say Mail and Word."

formerly known as etaoin...
Buffalo Shrdlu #184274 04/13/09 09:44 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: etaoin
well, I really don't know why I'm replying, but I still don't understand this thought:

"Mac is almost devoid of editing capability, requiring you to laboriously switch back and forth between say Mail and Word."

Bill's Outlook incorporates Word, facilitating editing of one's email. However, Mac's Mail lacks this intimate blending so if you do much editing you must be continually switching your message back and forth between it and Word

dalehileman
dalehileman #184275 04/13/09 10:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JUST EDIT IN MAIL!

dalehileman #184276 04/13/09 10:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dale, I think that many folks that have a pc with the XP operating system don't have what you had, which sounds like an Outlook/Office combination and allows the option of using Word as the mail editor. those folks are like me, and have Outlook Express, which has a limited (Word-like) editing capability.

just FYI..

eta: shame on you for shouting at dale. wink

tsuwm #184277 04/14/09 12:11 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

I know, I'm sorry.

Buffalo Shrdlu #184283 04/14/09 03:31 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
JUST EDIT IN MAIL!

By "edit" I mean to access macros such as those provided by Word which make it possible to expedite a typical operation that might otherwise require multiple keystrokes. I believe that Word provides about 400 such macros, including for example the standard B, I, U, and T as well means to place any of the others also in the taskbar for instant access . These might include styles, bullets, selective highlights, dictionary, border, centering, thesaurus, navigation, selective caps, small caps, interchanging characters or words, subscripts and superscripts, inserts and format of various kinds, etc etc etc

In addition what I call the personal macro, or one you can compose for a special purpose may also be placed in the Outlook taskbar. For example to restore spelling flags in a large document requires a routine entailing 18 keystrokes. In Outlook, to facilitate the operation one merely composes a personal macro for the purpose, placing a link in the toolbar so that when needed the entire megillah can be accessed with a single click of the mouse

Wile I realize in Mac Mail a number of keyboard macros are available for these purposes, it's a nuisance to have to learn and then remember all the necessary keystrokes. Otherwise Mail has virtually no editing capability at all except spelling, which by the way is grossly unsatisfactory, unable to recognize dozens if not hundreds of common misspellings

So in editing an email message, for instance, it becomes necessary to cut and paste it back and forth between Mail and Word, very tedious. To this end my IT No. 1 Son composed for me two rather complex macros for the purpose, making it possible to switch the message back and forth in only one or two quick clicks of the mouse. However, not everyone has an IT in the family, while the integral system of Outlook/Word is still quicker and more convenient

Although it's sure than Mac will eventually realize its mistake and provide more nearly complete editing capabilities, in the meantime if you do much writing or corresponding but were considering a switch from Bill to Mac you might want to hold off

dalehileman
twosleepy #184284 04/14/09 03:36 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Maybe it's because you are all men.... Dale, have you tried changing the skin?........with an ochre colored font, very easy to read; no squinting! :0)

two thank you for the suggestion but I'm not sure Mac provides that capability, while I'm reluctant to acquire and learn a new browser such as Firefox, which incidentally, more than one correspondent has advised against. As I may have mentioned, I have dealt with the problem by the simple expedient of clicking on each tab successively until I hit the one I want

dalehileman
Buffalo Shrdlu #184286 04/14/09 03:41 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

I know, I'm sorry.

No you'e not. However, one develops a thick skin participating in Internet boards, this hotbed of mutual recrimination so virulent that many refuse even to discuss it in retrospect

dalehileman
dalehileman #184287 04/14/09 03:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
how dare you tell me I'm not sorry?

I am, because I am not an angry person, and have no desire to "yell" at you.

the fact of the matter is, that these tirades against macs should be happening at the Apple forums, not here. I have tried and tried to help you, and yet you keep asking the same questions and ranting the same rants.

and I have no idea why it would take 18 keystrokes to put spell-check back on. seems to me, in the time it takes you count all your keystrokes, you could have done a lot of other things....

Buffalo Shrdlu #184288 04/14/09 03:59 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
[=etaoin]how dare you tell me I'm not sorry?

Quote:
I am, because I am not an angry person, and have no desire to "yell" at you.

Good for you eta, yes I note you're a bit more evenhanded than many other quibblers. I have long maintained that the drubbings one gets on the various boards owe to a subconscious tendency on the part of the perpetrator, who if the truth were known actually enjoys being angry

Quote:
the fact of the matter is, that these tirades against macs should be happening at the Apple forums, not here. I have tried and tried to help you, and yet you keep asking the same questions and ranting the same rants.

Admin is free to delete any post it feels is not consistent with the purposes of the board or constitutes a breach of protocol without at all offending. Otherwise, there is no requirement whatever to read my posts, prominently identified by my nickname in bold font in the box to the left of each post

As for repetition, many participants, especially newcomers, often have not encountered the original to which reference is made

I do incidentally present a link to discussions such as this at the Apple Suggestions site

Anyone wishing to further vent his tirades, I am dalehileman@me.com and evidently don't care who knows it

Quote:
......and I have no idea why it would take 18 keystrokes to put spell-check back on. seems to me, in the time it takes you count all your keystrokes, you could have done a lot of other things....
[/quote]

I'll send you a copy of the macro if you like but I get the feeling you might not have much use for it if you don't compose very long messages and besides it doesn't work with every OS

dalehileman
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,417
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 1,022 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,588
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith