FF has it exactly right. As a parent, I look at things differently now than I used to. There is no "enlightened self-interest" in being a parent! Some parents seem to miss the obvious, common sense approach to loving and raising their children well. The oxygen mask situation is clear to me, yet it must be explained on airplanes. Other parts of parenting are never explained, and some people don't get a chance to learn them before their kids are badly, even fatally, affected. Here is one example I have seen ad nauseam: A nice family is getting exercise together by going for a bike ride. Kids are all appropriately equipped with helmets, maybe even knee pads, riding ahead of the watchful parents. Mom or Dad has a child seat behind for the baby, who also has a helmet. Great so far, but then checking out Mom and Dad, they have no helmets. So assuming the worst, a crash of some kind, Mom or Dad are killed or injured, but the protected children are okay; until they wander into the road, or other hazardous situation, because no one is there to help them. One would think it's common sense to protect yourself they way you are protecting your children, but the magical thinking "nothing will happen to me" state of mind is all around us.