Originally Posted By: twosleepy
I bought a curling iron which stated, and I am not making this up, "Do not use while asleep".

My favourite is a heat gun I bought for paint stripping that operates at several hundred degrees celsius, with the warning in the instructions "do not use as a hair dryer."

The question of juries is a perennial favourite for debate in any first year law class.

Whilst the jury system is on the whole a good one, in particular cases it is not necessarily any better than other forms of trial such as the European inquisatorial system or trial by the tribal elders for that matter. One of the problems with jury trial is that is part of our adversarial system, in which it is winning or losing that is the primary goal of defense or prosecution attorneys, and not actually getting at the truth of a matter. Trial by a panel of judges in some cases may be fairer and more likely to return a verdict based on the actual law, since judges are trained in law and are on average likely to be more objective and dispassionate. Jury trials are also very expensive, and for that reason it is quite appropriate to have magistrates decide lesser charges. In some jurisdictions for some charges or civil cases, defendants are given the choice of jury or judge trials.