Thank you both (Maven & twosleepy) for some insight. To add, I must include some words about a few major contributors to the degradation of this blue marble we call Earth (at least of it's ability to support life): Materialism, Consumerism, Capitalism. It seems that, generally, these (and possibly other factors) tend to support and feed off of each other ultimately leading to a situation where this planet will no longer be able to provide livable conditions for the various existing forms of life here. So sad...and irresponsible.

And, because it fits so well with this discussion, I feel compelled to include the statement that Agent Smith makes while interrogating Neo in The Matrix (movie):

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

While this is quoted from a movie, it does hold relevance. Humans do, in fact, extract and waste beyond sustainable limits like no other living species on Earth. Yes, there are many of us who do not follow unsustainable practices to extremes (hence, sustainable living) but the amount who do follow unsustainable practices far outweigh the former.