Originally Posted By: of troy
(i think nothing of using common vulgar words, (sh*t, f*ck, etc) that are generally avoided here.. but i really object to profanity (there is a commandment not to take the lords name in vain--but even G*d told the the devil "Go to hell!")
I always find it strange that the christian right in this country gets all up in arms when a bit of breast makes it on to TV, or when some one uses an earth vulgar word, but no objects to prize winners, (or what ever) saying "oh my G*d (i won a million dollars)...

Like you, people using vulgarity doesn't bother me much (except when it's obviously intended to be offensive, or in front of children). It's actually etymologically a snobby thing - the words describing various bodily parts and functions that became impolite are the good old ordinary anglo-saxon/Old English words for those things, whilst the 'acceptable' equivalents like faeces, copulate, etc are Latin and French - the languages of academia and nobility.
However, like you, I object more to profanity/blasphemy. Not so much people saying "God" since that means so many things to so many people and I figure they are just blaspheming their own god, whatever that may be, not the God I worship. Using 'Jesus' or 'Christ' as a swear word, however, is specifically offensive to Christian belief, and annoys me more.