Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
After reading this,I'm going to try to cut back on the number of jokes I make about New Zealanders and sheep:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/200803070859/cbcdf44

old hand
old hand
Secret NZ submarine fleet off coast of Australia, ready to land at Bondi...

old hand
old hand
Haha! Ewe Boats.

Have ya seen the Kiwi version of silence of the lambs? It's called 'Shuddup Ewes'

In all seriosity now. The mass migration of sheep to Oz should substantially increase the IQ levels of both countries.
bada boom!

L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Secret NZ submarine fleet off coast of Australia, ready to land at Bondi...

Coming from a Tasmanian, the Aussie State famous for "Five hundred thousand People; Five Last Names", I'm sure the sheepshaggers will have their own laugh.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: latishya
Coming from a Tasmanian, the Aussie State famous for "Five hundred thousand People; Five Last Names", I'm sure the sheepshaggers will have their own laugh.

Yee haa, and a big high six to you too!

After reading this,I'm going to try to cut back on the number of jokes I make about New Zealanders and sheep

I'm not!

Anyone know the difference between E.T. and a Kiwi living in Bondi?

Last edited by The Pook; 03/07/08 01:30 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Step right up, folks. Don't crowd now. Tickets are a mere one thin dime, only the tenth part of a dollar. The next session of the Tasman War is breaking out just now. Hurry to get good seats.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ooh, ooh--where was the pav invented? [poking the borax e]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Faldage
... a mere one thin dime, only the tenth part of a dollar.

Interesting peculiarly American word that. We don't do dimes, all we have are ten cent pieces, not nearly so economical of words. What's the etymology of 'dime'?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
perhaps etymonline will have a feeling for it:

Quote:
dime
chosen 1786 as name for U.S. 10 cent coin, from dime "a tenth, tithe" (1377), from O.Fr. disme, from L. decima (pars) "tenth (part)," from decem "ten." The verb meaning "to inform" (on someone) is 1960s, from the then-cost of a pay phone call. A dime a dozen "almost worthless" first recorded 1930. Phrase stop on a dime attested by 1954.

never heard of the "inform" thing. huh.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and then, for those with a basketball jones, a dime is, for some unfathomable reason, an assist.

-joe (shooters are a dime a dozen?) friday

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: etaoin

Quote:
dime
chosen 1786 as name for U.S. 10 cent coin, from dime "a tenth, tithe" (1377), from O.Fr. disme, from L. decima (pars) "tenth (part)," from decem "ten." The verb meaning "to inform" (on someone) is 1960s, from the then-cost of a pay phone call. A dime a dozen "almost worthless" first recorded 1930. Phrase stop on a dime attested by 1954.

Guess you must be too young, huh? Neither have I, though I am familiar with the other uses from old American movies.

In Australia and NZ the equivalent of 'dime, vb. to inform on someone' is the word 'dob' which is probably from cockney slang I think. To 'dob someone in' or 'dob on someone' is to tell on them or inform on them. The person doing this is known as a 'dobber,' which has a pejorative connotation similar to the word 'scab' and results in a similar treatment by those 'dobbed on'.

L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: Jackie

If you believe wikipedia, the recipe was first written in New Zealand. Of course, that doesn't mean it was invented in New Zealand, just that they could write before Australians, which everybody probably already knew.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Originally Posted By: etaoin

Quote:
dime

Guess you must be too young, huh? Neither have I, though I am familiar with the other uses from old American movies.

hmm, well, I did watch a lot of Mannix and Hawaii 5-0, but don't remember "dime"...

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dime

The verb meaning "to inform" (on someone) is 1960s, from the then-cost of a pay phone call.

I have heard of to drop a dime meaning to inform on somebody, to snitch, to grass, to nark, but not to dime.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Jackie

If you believe wikipedia, the recipe was first written in New Zealand. Of course, that doesn't mean it was invented in New Zealand, just that they could write before Australians, which everybody probably already knew.

Who cares? I can't stand pavlova anyway. I like the fruit (ironically usually kiwi fruit) on the top of it but I hate the meringue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,430
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 558 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,598
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith