Wordsmith Talk |
About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us | |||
Register Log In Wordsmith Talk Forums General Topics Q&A about words oaks/acorns
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
By chance I have this huge Collins table dictionary.
It gives some information as the online Ethymology gives none.
acorn, of Old English aecern; the fruit of a tree, acorn; related to Gothic akran, fruit, yield.
Date "acorn" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1596.
Others and betters may give you more details if you are lucky.
I must say I like your word "oaknut ".
(in my language we use the word "eikel" (acorn) as a friendly term of abuse. I think "˙ou silly oaknut" would do nicely as well. Maybe I'll use it for a change.
Last edited by BranShea; 09/28/2007 8:20 AM.
Entire Thread Subject Posted By Posted ![]()
oaks/acorns
gailfern 09/28/2007 12:57 AM ![]()
Re: oaks/acorns
BranShea 09/28/2007 8:19 AM
Moderated by Jackie
Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics Forums16Topics13,917Posts230,573Members9,211 Most Online17,319
Apr 8th, 2026
Newest Members Boo boo kitty fu, peterreineck, Peripatetic Toad, JerryC, blvd
9,211 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters wwh 13,858Faldage 13,803Jackie 11,613wofahulicodoc 11,365tsuwm 10,542LukeJavan8 9,974Buffalo Shrdlu 7,210AnnaStrophic 6,511Wordwind 6,296of troy 5,400
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · Wordsmith Talk