Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#170236 09/28/2007 12:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
stranger
stranger
Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
Any ideas on why the fruit of the oak tree is called an acorn and not an oaknut or, for that matter, oak trees are not called acorn trees.

gailfern #170238 09/28/2007 8:19 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,295
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,295
By chance I have this huge Collins table dictionary.
It gives some information as the online Ethymology gives none.

acorn, of Old English aecern; the fruit of a tree, acorn; related to Gothic akran, fruit, yield.

Date "acorn" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1596.

Others and betters may give you more details if you are lucky.

I must say I like your word "oaknut ".

(in my language we use the word "eikel" (acorn) as a friendly term of abuse. I think "˙ou silly oaknut" would do nicely as well. Maybe I'll use it for a change.

Last edited by BranShea; 09/28/2007 8:20 AM.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,917
Posts230,573
Members9,211
Most Online17,319
Apr 8th, 2026
Newest Members
Boo boo kitty fu, peterreineck, Peripatetic Toad, JerryC, blvd
9,211 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 11,365
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,974
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2026 Wordsmith

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1