Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167577 04/16/07 11:46 AM
S
spence Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Alb is a familiar root to me, as I read occasionaly morning prayer services at my chrch. we are required, to look suitably decorous, to wear a black, ankle-length cassock with a shorter alb (an all white garment, hanging to beteween waist and knees). So I am familiar with the "alb" concept on at keast a monthly basis. It is intended to suggest purity, though the connectkon is purely putative in my case.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It is intended to suggest purity, though the connectkon is purely putative in my case. Then, spence, you'll fit right in, here!

So--can anyone tell me why I grew up hearing the albedo called a pith?

M
addict
addict
M
Albedo? No, I have no idea why anyone would call the ratio of reflected to incident light the pith. (^_^)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Latin had two words for 'white': albus, -a, -um, and candidus, -a, -um: the former 'matte, or dull, white' and the latter 'shiny white'. Albus is from the PIE root *albho- and is related to English elf and the place names Albany, Albania, and the Alps.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
albedo :2. The white, spongy inner lining of a citrus fruit rind.

pith: 1. tissue under rind of citrus fruits: the soft whitish fibrous tissue that lies under the outer rind of a citrus fruit.
pith and albedo are synonyms?

Albedo:
ratio of light reflected from a surface," from L., lit. "whiteness," from albus "white". Albedo is more commonly used in astronomy and meteorology and reflectance in physics.

whiteness:
In nature, the color white results when transparent fibers, particles, or droplets are in a transparent matrix of a substantially different reflective index. Examples include classic "white" substances such as sugar, foam, pure sand or snow, cotton, clouds, milk, etc. Crystal boundaries and imperfections can also make otherwise transparent materials white, as in the case of milky quartz or the microcrystalline structure of a seashells. This is also true for artificial paints and pigments, where the color white results when finely divided transparent material of a high refractive index is suspended in a contrasting binder. Typically paints contain calcium carbonate and/or synthetic rutile with no other pigments if a white color is desired.
rutile is a minaral composed primarily of titanium dioxiide, TiO2. Used for making wonderful, opaque titanium white paint.

All I know as a painter is that white is one of the most fascinating 'colours' to use. And that it hightly reacts to any neighbouring colour. Any movement in a white surface of whatever
substance changes the shades. There is no just one white colour , but countless shades of white. The optical illusion of a part of a white sheet of paper , enclosed within a different colour or shade, appearing whiter than the paper itself is well known , but it still is magic to me.

White is wonderful to work with.

Last edited by BranShea; 04/16/07 03:41 PM.
M
addict
addict
M
Starting at and including http://www.onelook.com, you have to look in 4 dictionaries before you get to one that includes anything about fruit in the definition of albedo. Under the Science dictionary category, even the Botanical dictionary doesn't have it - well it's iVillage GardenWeb Glossary which makes you wonder why they have it at all...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just a nit, but why are you "including http://www.onelook.com" in your list? OneLook doesn't have definitions in and of itself -- and if you are including the Quick definitions given therein, those are culled from indexed dictionaries which are in the public domain.

-joe (the didact) friday

edit: BTW, your link to http://www.onelook.com doesn't work due to the ","

Last edited by tsuwm; 04/16/07 05:38 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you type albedo + citrus into any search engine's search window you get everything about citrus albedo.

addict
addict
Odd that in a string apparently about today's word, no notice was taken of the quote that further shows Dostoyevsky to have been a raving lunatic.

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
just a nit, but why are you "including http://www.onelook.com" in your list? OneLook doesn't have definitions in and of itself -- and if you are including the Quick definitions given therein, those are culled from indexed dictionaries which are in the public domain.

-joe (the didact) friday

edit: BTW, your link to http://www.onelook.com doesn't work due to the ","

I realize that the one that appears on onelook is from one of the others, but I can't remember which one. Technically, I suppose I should have said - the first three and whichever one onelook quotes from - but I stupidly assumed people would get that without having to be explicit. Sometimes I make the mistake of assuming people don't think I'm a total idiot. (^_^)

Also, I wasn't trying to link to onelook, in fact, I didn't even type the http:// part that ended up there automagically courtesy of the board software.

Last edited by Myridon; 04/16/07 09:13 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,430
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 686 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,598
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith