This is the bit from the text which explains the correct answer.

Quote:

I must look at the card with the vowel showing to find out what is on the other side because it could be an odd number and thus would show me that the statement is false. I must also look at the card with the odd number to find out what is on the other side because it could be a vowel and thus would show me that the statement is false. I don't need to look at the card with the consonant because the statement I am testing has nothing to do with consonants. Nor do I need to look at the card with the even number showing because whether the other side has a vowel or a consonant will not help me determine whether the statement is false.

In other words: A and 7.

I think this is a pretty tough problem! The solution depends on a very literal-minded interpretation of "Which card(s) must you turn over to determine whether the following statement is *false*?" which statement, to answer the problem correctly, should not be equated with proving that the statement is true.

In other words, it is not a "true or false?" problem; but a "prove this false" problem. Considering this fact, that "whether" in the statement is very unkind. It tempts you into thinking "whether or not" where "not" means "true" and therefore resolve the statement in your mind into the "true or false" dichotomy you are meant to avoid to solve the ******* problem.

Apparently, the problem is made difficult by the "confirmation bias": The fact that the brain prefers to try to prove something is true (and therefore not false) than false (and therefore not true).

Anway, it got me.

(Well done Faldage)

Last edited by Hydra; 10/26/06 02:30 PM.