an example of a European style of heel
(note, the heel is made up of 3 parts, a flap, 'the turning' and the gusset. in this sock the flap and turning are solid blue, the gusset is in the striped yarn--this style of heel is also knit with a single yarn (not contrasing), but its easier to see the parts with contrast.

a classic turkish style sock
the one on the left is the instep up, the right one is the sole.
its normal for instep and sole to have different designs.
these socks have a very short top--to make them more slipper like. (they are very thick, and don't fit into most of my shoes)normally turkish socks would be taller--
one characteristic of turkish socks is very (by today's standards) pointy toes and heels. (this was my first attempt at this style of sock)

this sock is hand knit, but heel is shaped similar to machine made socks
this style of heel is aka a short row heel. i chose this image, because its easy to see the heel shape, since the heel is knit in a solid (contrasting) color. this style is also done with in same yarn as the rest of the socks-but the yarn patterns can make it harder to see the details.

(i knit about 12 pairs of socks a year. gluttons for punishment can figure out how to see all of the images if they desire/99% of images are my knitting portfolio.)

Last edited by of troy; 06/07/06 06:50 PM.