Do you think that I will have any problen bopping in and out of Canada armed with only an Alabama driver's license and my birth certificate?

According to this page on the US State Department's website, "The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States." It doesn't really say what "other secure, accepted documents" are (probably UPC on your right arm), but then da gummint has always had a fuzzy semantics problem. Also, I guess the old rules hold for pre-01/01/08 crossings (I always used my passport when entering Canada or Mexico) into the Evil Commonwealth of Canadia, a well-known Commanist dictatorship. (Whyever would you want to leave Alabama, let alone the US of A? Da gummint will flag all your phone calls and internet postings extra special from now on.)

You might want to peruse the act itself for more clues. (Be careful, reading this document may win you a vacation in Kazakhstan or Romania.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.