Print Thread
#153672 01/12/06 02:32 AM
M
maxie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Massachusetts instituted stable laws in the late 1880's. To this day, they still consider their laws as refering to places where horses are for hire. One of their laws gives local boards of health authority to place regulations over stables in cities and large towns. I have three old, retired horses on my farm for my own personal use. The local board of health voted regulations for stables in 1986. They contend I have a stable.I can not find a definition for stable in the Massachusetts General Law. The dictionaries I have consulted define stable as a place where horses are kept. I am trying to find an older dictionary to see if I can prove the definition that stables are places horses are kept for hire. Can you help me?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a link to the only place I know that has old dictionaries; unfortunately none of the three old ones listed are going to help you in your cause--good luck!
stable def.'s

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Welcome, maxie. I think you’ll struggle to prove such a narrow definition, since the root comes from long before anyone had taken horses to America let alone hired them out.

The word comes from Old French estable and ultimately from Latin stabulum, derived from a Latin root (sta~ from stare) that meant to stand. For ages it was used to describe a stall for all kinds of domesticated livestock, not specifically horses: compare for example the modern French word étable, which means ‘cowhouse’.

The OED also gives this other meaning suggestive of other kinds of whorses!
2. b. slang. A group of prostitutes working for the same person or organization.

There are a family of related words, including establishment and stable (in the ‘standing firm’ sense).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think what you're looking for is the specific term "livery stable."

livery stable noun (1705)
: a stable where horses and vehicles are kept for hire and where stabling is provided called also livery barn

(C) 1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Alas the definition of stable seems to be unstable. Your only hope is to destabilize your barn.

/subbing for TEd

T
veteran
veteran
T
Good luck, maxie, in your attempt to reason with a greedy bureaucracy, but it's well known that Taxachusetts tax collectors reason like a snake reasons with a mouse.

Of course the intent of the law was to tax the three-horse, for-hire, "livery" stables of the 19th Century and not to tax any good Massachusetts citizen of today who likes to board horses just for kicks. So what? Just be glad they didn't tax your cat.

Best you move your three whorses and taxes to Texas and begin a new life.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On the other hand, if it's the board of health that's your adversary, perhaps it matters not one whit what you do with the horses. Health is health.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Perhaps a more useful book in which to look might be Julie I. Fershtman, Equine Law and Horse Sense, Horses & the Law Publ., 1996. ISBN: 0964843005

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

On the other hand, if it's the board of health that's your adversary, perhaps it matters not one whit what you do with the horses. Health is health.

Quite right, Faldage. Certainly no one can question
your astute observation that "Health is Health".

But why are we whispering? Isn't maxie* still alive and kicking?

HEY MAXIE*,
WHAT IS THE DAMN GOVERNMENT ASKING YOU TO DO THAT MADE YOU SO DAMN MAD!

Edit: Oops! Sorry, maxie, it seems I called you aurtia. Who's aurtia?

Last edited by themilum; 01/13/06 04:16 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is Aurtia supposed to answer for Maxie?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,415
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (wofahulicodoc, 1 invisible), 805 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,586
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith