Fellow Linguaphiles,

I have another word challenge for you to start off the new year.

I am writing a novel featuring two opposing cultures. Conflict between the two sides runs generations deep. Eventually the differing cultures find that they must work together for a common cause. So an uneasy truce is established.

Now in order for the two cultures to work cohesively, representatives of both sides must be able to walk freely amongst people who were recently considered "the Enemy". The problem is that no amount of assurances or oaths will erase the history or cleanse the bad blood between the two cultures. Think a Nazi in full uniform trying to walk the streets of Israel.

So a titled position is established to help allay the fears of the populi. Representatives of both sides are paired together as an emissary team. Each representative is a mirror image in rank and reputation of the other. The companions are sworn to defend his/her charge to the death. It is also an unwritten rule that each companion serves to ensure/enforce the good will of the other. Neither one is to be seen without the other.

After a number of years, these pairings become almost invisible to the group subconscious. If one is seen, he/she is seen as a threat. If two are seen, they cancel one another out and the one is no longer perceived as a threat.

My word challenge is to find a word that sums up the title.

Please remember that each member of the pairing is considered an equal in the eyes of both governments. "Keeper" would be a pejorative name for a person in this position.

I appreciate everyone's time and look forward to your suggestions.

Matthew Johnson
Portland, OR