|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 10,542
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 10,542 |
I'm having great fun this week with the scribblings of Thomas Nashe; I am however puzzled by some of the following screed: I utterly despair of them, or not so much despair of them as count them a pair of poor idiots, being not only but also two brothers, two blockheads, two blunderkins, having their brains stuffed with nought but balderdash, but that they are the very botts & the glanders to the gentle readers, the dead palsy and apoplexy of the press, the serpigo and the sciatica of the 7 liberal sciences, the surfeiting vomit of Lady Vanity, the sworn bawds to one another's vainglory, &, to conclude, the most contemptible Monsieur Ajaxes of excremental conceits and stinking kennel-raked-up invention that this or any age ever afforded. I assume that Monsieur Ajax is a literary allusion of some sort? but surely not Toby Tyler, which came about 400 yrs. *after Nashe. meanwhile, I shall see what I can find of the very botts & the glanders.. and I thought serpigo was a bad cop gone good.  edit: botts, glanders, palsy, apoplexy, serpigo, sciatica - all afflictions you wouldn't wish on your worst.. horse.
Last edited by tsuwm; 12/16/2005 2:35 AM.
|
|
|
|
Forums16
Topics13,917
Posts230,568
Members9,211
| |
Most Online17,319 Apr 8th, 2026
|
|
|
|
|
|