About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#146014 08/05/05 09:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tsuwm sez: "QED, we must fault them for leaving, or they weren't really good people."

I'm not into ascribing fault to anybody who decides that the good they get from participating in this board is outweighed by the aggravation. I did that once myself, a few years ago.

I am not into judging whether people who elect to leave are "good" or not. Remember, I only judge things that I get PAID to judge.

I am convinced, based on my reading of experts about flame wars and trolling and such, that there are only two likely outcomes: (1) the people ignore the offender, who eventually tires of the enterprise and withdraws, or (2) the people leave the board in sufficient numbers that it is destroyed. People who study the lives of boards such as this one suggest that there are not other realistic outcomes, for an unmoderated board.

#146015 08/05/05 09:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's not really that hard to ignore him completely. Makes the whole AWAD experience a lot more pleasant.

#146016 08/05/05 10:02 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I mainly agree with Father Steve. But I don't think ignoring RH will work, because in the long run adherence to that good advice cannot be expected.

Separately is wrong to attribute RH's behavior to a personality disorder or alcoholism or anything else which might make that behavior in some way forgiveable. Whatever the underlying disorder, if there is one, we should take it for granted that he is out to destroy this site. And he will not stop until he has succeeded. It is really that simply. All his chatter and protestations are huey and fill. Huey, in that he doesn't believe a speck in them, fill, because his objective is simply to load on the offensive drivel: as much and as frequently as he can.

It occured to me, reading the Father Steve's first post of advice for the victims of these attacks, that at least one reason RH uses so many aliases is for the for the *sake* of conducting his own discourse. But this is not just foolishness: if he is ignored, he has and is his own forum. That is, he *cannot* be ignored. I mean to suggest that these populations of his are not plain idiocy, but strategy. They are meant to circumvent the inevitable efforts to ignore the poster. And it is for this reason, among others, that I suggest that he actively seeks to destroy the board: his populations and the fora they occupy like militias are perfectly tailored to the defense Father Steve encourages us to employ.

This is not to say that these populations couldn't also be ignored. It is only to point out that there is method, here. The neurotic doesn't exist in RH who believes that he is some poor misunderstood soul -- that, like all his puppets, is a contrivance. And all of it is aimed at bringing down this board.

The answer, I'm afraid, is that the board will die. And it's a damn shame.

But there is another side to Father Steve's recommendations. The tactic he recommends, and the outcomes prophesied, are those of *unmoderated* boards. The answer, then, is simple. The board must be moderated, and unsavory characters such as RH must be banned.

In the history of AWAD, there have, I think, been only two individuals who would have been banned. I do not think, then, that having a moderator poses much of a threat of lack of openness. In fact, since so many good contributors have left the board, the appointment of a moderator and removal of RH would probably greatly enhance the openness of the board.

I believe that lack of moderation on this board has become irresponsible.

I don't think that Anu needs to be presented with lots of examples of abuse. They are plentiful. And this thread, which is gratifying to read, speaks loud and clear.

Insel

#146017 08/05/05 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well said, insel.

#146018 08/05/05 11:19 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I completely agree with insel.

If Anu in the final resort does not face up to the problems of no moderation, we have alternative forums available, so have the option to decamp en masse. Unmoderated boards are not viable in the face of madness.

#146019 08/06/05 10:09 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Dear Friends:

I have made this offer many times before, and honored it faithfully each time, and I will once again now for the record.

Anyone who leaves me in peace will be left in peace in return.

There is no mean-spirited, abusive strategy that some of you people have not practiced on me, alone or in concert, including trying to intimidate me in my personal life by spreading lies, in the beginning in malacious PMs, and now even onscreen.

I cautioned some months ago that I will no longer absorb your abuse without answering back. As you know, I tried ignoring the warmongering of ASp and Of Troy by turning the other cheek for over three months, from December '04 through March '05, and it didn't work. My refusal to respond to their insults and innuendos only escalated the ferocity of their abuse.

While I will continue to defend myself when attacked without provocation, I will continue to do so honorably. I will not resort to the tactics which some of you employ against me - including the use of vulgarities, malacious PMs which include libels, contrived complaints about inoffensive posts, and constant harping and sermonizing and haranguing about real or imagined peccadillos, current or ancient.

Some of you don't like my limericks. Fine. I moved them into limerick threads in "Wordplay and Fun" to keep you happy.

#146020 08/06/05 12:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Friends:

I have made this offer many times before, and honored it faithfully each time, and I will once again now for the record.

Anyone who leaves me in peace will be left in peace in return.

There is no mean-spirited, abusive strategy that some of you people have not practiced on me, alone or in concert, including trying to intimidate me in my personal life by spreading lies, in the beginning in malacious PMs, and now even onscreen.

I cautioned some months ago that I will no longer absorb your abuse without answering back. As you know, I tried ignoring the warmongering of ASp and Of Troy by turning the other cheek for over three months, from December '04 through March '05, and it didn't work. My refusal to respond to their insults and innuendos only escalated the ferocity of their abuse.

While I will continue to defend myself when attacked without provocation, I will continue to do so honorably. I will not resort to the tactics which some of you employ against me - including the use of vulgarities, malacious PMs which include libels, contrived complaints about inoffensive posts, and constant harping and sermonizing and haranguing about real or imagined peccadillos, current or ancient.

Some of you don't like my limericks. Fine. I moved them into limerick threads in "Wordplay and Fun" to keep you happy.

I thought it best to quote this post in its entirety before you go back and change it.

As I recall (and my memory is faulty! I don't keep records), first you decided to polarize with tsuwm and Faldage. Now it's Helen and me. There may have been others in between.

The big picture is you exhibit all the traits of a troll; the main one in your case is the apparent need for this board to feed your ego. Your disruptions are driving away people, both oldtimers and newcomers, who want to discuss words and language by the dozens. Why stay at a party when no one wants you here? I've got an idea: start a blog and you can post to your heart's content and keep Paris Hilton happy at the same time.

#146021 08/06/05 01:04 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Your disruptions are driving away people

There is a very simple solution to this, ASp.

If you are opposed to "disruptions", stop causing them, or instigating them, or defending those who do.

I think everyone should be treated with politeness and respect. Including you. Including me.

So let's just bring it to an end, shall we? For the good of the Board.

We could go on forever reliving the past, trying to figure out who started what, when. But that "eye for an eye" stuff has never gotten us anywhere.

As I said to Of Troy some time ago, I say to you now.

I will not insult you, if you stop insulting me.

It's just as simple as that, ASp.

I think we owe it to he Board to bury the hatchet.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, many times.. and then you "POWER Post" making long, long post, (one after another, after another) that have nothing to do with the topic on hand, or you pull out a sock puppets (see PLUTARCH: AKA to learn all the aliases, if you are unfamiliar) and have pretend dialogues, or you post 'advertizements' for your limerick of the day or your limerick news. Do you want a site for limericks? creat one. THIS IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL DOMAIN TO SUBVERT TO YOUR PURPOSES.

and News? tom cruise isn't news. if i wanted to read about him or paris hilton, i could subscribe to People or watch the garbage for free on TV. i don't need to pay for IPS, and pay for a telephone call.

Tell me, do you let anyone post anything they want about any subject (say reams of tex about Paris Hilton)on the Emerald Ash Borer site? should i go try? I'll cut and paste your posts (your MacGuffins and other garbage over there.) How about that, Mr. Holland? YOu are so proud of all you have to contribute, lets share it with wider audience.

#146023 08/06/05 01:17 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
and then you "POWER Post" making long, long post, (one after another, after another)

Dear Of Troy:

What are your incessant self-righteous, pontificating diatribes if not "POWER Posts"?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,413
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 998 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,584
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith