re:--And, as eta so ably demonstrated, we would all be wrong. Being how as it's from an Indian language it's an aspirated unvoiced bilabial plosive and not an unvoiced labio-dental fricative.

Yeah, but... i did point out that 'hobson-jobson' was also a factor. (only i forgot the term hobsom-jobsom) and just pointed out "there is a tendency to make 'foriegn words' into more english friendly words".

and then transposing dhp (a sound, no doubt i could learn to make) inot a d-ph -a sound i already know how to make, is not unusual. no matter what spelling i encountered, i suspect i would say jod-fur--

if my audience was mostly desi, i would recognize that i was saying it wrong, but i don't know, (unless i was addressing a delegation from the city of Jodhpur) that i would make the effort to learn to say the city name differently than the clothing name.

(and i encounter people all the time who fail to realize the NY street, and texas city have different names--even if they are spelled the same way... )

Hobson-jobson ism has mangle many names over the ages.. its not just english speakers that engage in it.
(see www.engrish.com)