Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136969 01/06/05 01:38 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Last night on Do you speak American?, one 'expert' raised the idea of a new vowel shift that is occuring in american english. (i have already posted a limerick about it, but since everyone seems to be avoiding my limerick thread, you might have missed it)

In one of the parts (large parts, but did miss some of the show, (3 hours long, 3 episodes glommed together) there is a new vowel shift discussed.

first they played a word bla(h)k-- it was a sort of nasal sounding black. then they played the whole recorded sentence, and the word in context..

The whole bla(h)ck was filled with building of this kind...

next word,
Bosses.. again, a bit nasal but clearly the guys in charge at work...

but in context, it became:
all of the bosses run on a schedule, but they are often late, and the boss stops have long lines of people waiting..

the O sound of block, has softened to an A, and the U of bus, sounds more like an O.
(and then the phone rang again, and i really wanted to answer it, --the show will be repeated)

well i hope
1--other cities will be broadcasting the show
2--others will be interested in discussing this news (and other ideas presented!)

and maybe we can keep our ears open for new evidence of other examples of the great (NEW) vowel shift.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
To these, I must say, "Yuck"! (Not yack, and not yock!) But then I'm a stick-in-the-mud. I still bristle up if I hear/read about someone standing on line at the bank.

I was out all evening. Did they say where these have started to shift? Because I haven't heard them, or at least not enough that they penetrated my awareness.

If your limericks are in W&F, I haven't looked there in weeks, due to a lack (not lock!) of time; reckon I'll catch up there eventually.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I missed the broadcast, due to other commitments. I've not noticed any pronunciations of "bus" as "boss" hereabouts, but "block" certainly has always had an "a" sound to it.

The shift I've noticed is in "un". Often, when listening to someone on TV or radio, I hear what sounds to me like "on" being said instead. Because the persons speaking can't be fixed as to origination, I can't tell if this is a regional variation, or what. (heh - "whut")

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Caught most of the broadcast and the vowel shift seemed to be in the area around the Great Lakes, US shore.
The phrase boss stap for bus stop did rather grate on my ear but then I mainly speak Canajen, eh.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,498
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 159 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,660
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,924
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith