In reply to:

How come English uses the word "pay" where other languages use "make?" For example, "pay attention", "pay a visit", "pay my condolences". I would hate to think it's because of the Anglo-American mercantile culture!

'pay' is given fifteen (count them, 15) senses by the OED, most of them dating before Shakepeare, including this sense:

8. (With the notion of debt weakened to that of duty or fitness, or lost.) To render, bestow (something considered as due, deserved or befitting, e.g. attention, heed, respect, court, a compliment, a visit, etc.). Usually with to or simple dat.
1590 Shakes. Mids. N. v. i. 99 Not paying me a welcome. 1654–66 Earl of Orrery Parthen. (1676) 381, I went+to pay her a visit. 1711 Addison Spect. No. 122 35 After having paid their Respects to Sir Roger. 1766 Goldsm. Vic. W. xvi, Farmer Williams+had paid her his addresses. 1796 E. Parsons Myst. Warning II. 222 The Gentlemen paid her many compliments. 1866 Duke of Argyll Reign Law vii. (1871) 386 Too little attention being paid to the progress of opinion. 1882 Besant Revolt of Man vi. (1883) 152 They paid little heed to the sermon.