In reply to:

Attempts to do so carry the message that the subject's opinion is wrong, and I'm not sure I can grasp how a subjective opinion can be in error.

Max, I understood your point immediately. And certainly didn't mean to disagree with your point. The only reason I wrote, "Not to get into a discussion of taste and the individual..." was to simply turn to a different avenue of thought and certainly not to dismiss your previous observations about the ugliness of eply. That flight of fancy about taking a word--and word not currently found in any dictionary, I suppose--and, realizing how people often dislike new words and others embrace them, it would be fun to create monologues in which the actor attempts to win over the audience--or dissuade the audience from liking the word.

I definitely honor and enjoy all you write. Your comment simply seemed interesting enough to wonder whether, in the hands of a good actor, we could be caused to be seduced, perhaps, into liking the unlikeable or to be persuaded to dislike something innocuous. I wasn't writing directly about you, Max, in any way, but about a theatre audience. I apologize for my lack of clarity here.

In no uncertain terms did I intend to be dismissive.