re:Peggy told me that one of the things she hated about real estate law was having to walk the boundaries of certain properties that were being sold.

this is done less and less.. as a property changes hands now, the boundries are marked with GSP points or other more permenent land markers.. (but if a property hasn't changed owners, or there is a dispute, i am sure its still done!)

and DXB thanks for the info on rights of way. the time it takes to establish one is much shorter(generally) in US-- as i said, it only take 1 year in some cases in NYC! (paved roads have very short times.)

and its short elsewhere in NY. by law, there are no private beaches in NY-well, the area of land between the highest tide (of the year) and lowest tide are public property. but the land next to the beach can be owned.

in places like the *hamptons, there are a few (very few!) right of way paths to the beach. You can walk along them, and get to pristine private beaches, but you have to park you blanket close to the waters edge, and know a tide schedule. --and there are no lifeguards on duty.

it doesn't take too many years for new rights of way to be established, so land owners in the hamptons are very particular about fences, and trespassers.
(LI's south shore is a continuation of the US East coast beaches. starting at about cape cod in MA (i, know Wow, NH has a 1/4 mile or so.. but maine has a reputation for a rocky coast line) and continuing down all the way to florida, with some patches being incredible beautiful) Most of the east coast enjoys deep sandy beaches. some states have created parks and public access areas for miles, in other states, the beaches are largely private --and you have to pay for the use.

NY and NJ have large swaths of public beaches,and so does Florida, i don't know about virgina (about 200 miles of beach area along the coast) or other states.
(Coney island is public beach in NYC, and perhaps the best known LI/atlantic beach, but Long island is about 110 miles long, and has about 100 miles of beach! ) about half is public-some of the public beaches are town owned, some county owned, some are state owned. some is 'developed' (parking lots, boardwalks, and bathrooms, lifeguards, too) lots is undeveloped. (natural dunes, wild life, no facilites, and no lifeguards)

town's and county's do sometimes limit use to town or county residents, but state beaches are open to everyone.
*the hamptons (east, south and west, and some other close by towns are the beach playground for the rich and famous.)