Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
As some of you may know, I have been a loyal supporter of Arsenal Football Club for some 20 years now. Last week was a rough one for the team, but they came through well in the end. My loyalty, however, does not extend to defending ghastly coinages like this one, from an article in The Grauniad:
-----------------------------------------------
Wenger then added a new word to football's lexicon. "We can do better footballistically but the spirit is there," he said.
-----------------------------------------------
Sacré rouge!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Spirit?

N
addict
addict
N
Oh, I don't know, Max. I think it'll replace my former(ly) favorite adverb (from my government employee husband): They contacted us telephonically... Footballistically definitely tops that.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage! You read my mind! Or rather, I must have read yours--we both picked out the same word. I wonder why he was so puzzled over the use of spirit. And why he didn't put the Arsenal Football Club...

sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
> I wonder why he was so puzzled over the use of spirit. And why he didn't put the Arsenal Football Club...

OK, now you'll have to 'splain. What is the big deal with "spirit" in this context? I did say that I had a problem with his coinage, and "spirit" didn't seem to be one.

As to the Arsenal FC, that's not its name. It's name is simply Arsenal FC. For about three years in the late 1920s it was known as "The Arsenal", but the then manager, Herbert Chapman, changed its legally incorporated name to try and ensure that it always came first in any alphabetical listing of English football clubs.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What is the big deal with "spirit" in this context?

Ya been whooshed, mate.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, its name might be "simply Arsenal FC", but it is still the Arsenal FC.

sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>whooshed.

I figgered that was the case. I'm used to being a whooshee, but was surprised by your fellow-whooshrix. all I can say is tgif (here, at any rate).

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I'm not really too interested in football but I am amazed that Wenger should have chosen a first name to match his club. Or was it the other way around?

It is not customary over here to use 'the' before the name of a football club. We would never say: "The Bolton Wanderers have for once survived the season without entering the relegation zone".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
surprised by your fellow-whooshrix Heh, heh! I try to space things like that ju-u-ust far enough apart that people forget I do it! It works on my husband, anyway: for his last birthday I gave him several "coupons" (that I'd created, straight from phone-book ads) for various sessions that a metrosexual would love, knowing that he is not the type. He thought they were real! The efforts he made to be a grateful recipient were quite comical.

I got to thinking about the use of "the" for teams in the U.S. As far as I can tell, we leave it off when mentioning only the team's location; as in, we'd say, "The Brooklyn Dodgers are playing today", but "Brooklyn did well in last week's game". I have never heard a team name used without 'the', as in Dodgers did well. [shudder]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,415
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (wofahulicodoc, 1 invisible), 805 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,586
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith