Dear FF:

It is too easy for many to criticize automatically, without great effort of thought, American education--there is such a wide field to which to put that knee-jerk, critical mental power with too often ill-thought-out remedies and judgments that will not be possible to carry out in the classroom. More of a challenge would be to identify the practices that are in place that are working toward improving education. It is too easy to simply say what we need more of when there is such a resistance to identifying what could be cut. It is very difficult to make categorical statements about American education when there are such alarmingly wide differences among school systems, some systems that are even in the same geographical region.

Let me address what I view as positive measures in education. State standards and testing of those standards improve student testing in all areas. Where school systems are held accountable for a certain percentage of students passing state standard tests in order to be accredited schools, student performance improves overall, teachers have a well-defined curriculum they must cover each year, and parents can review this curriculum to either question individual standards or reinforce them at home. Although I cannot agree with the appropriateness of every Virginia standard, I am encouraged that these standards are works in progress that do change over time.

Electronic grading systems are a boon to educators, students, and parents. With the software programs in place, a teacher nearly instantly can identify students' averages as soon as any grade is entered, students can see on the printouts exactly where their strengths and weaknesses lie, and teachers can easily provide parents with an indvidual student printout whenever necessary. We can track student progress by the hour, if necessary. Computerized grade reporting systems elevate reporting to an objective level that helps students and teachers know more specifically where the work should be improved.

Open communication between parents and teachers is a positive force for improved student performance. Everyone benefits when the dialogue is open and for the student's best interests. One obstacle to the level of communication is time. Out of my 30 students who would greatly benefit from regular communication of their parents with me, only about five have parents who are able to make that commitment. I do post on an education website where a few parents check in occasionally. I've had only 400 hits this year. Many parents simply do not believe they have the time to communicate regularly. However, I do know for a fact that parent involvement and commitment help improve student performance. It is not that the parents do the teaching, but that they make sure their children are following through on homework. Here I am specifically addressing students with a history of academic problems.

I might try to change completely back to music teaching next year because I worry about the kids I cannot force to work. You might be corect about teachers who are so incompetant in the classroom that 24 hours a day would not make any difference. I personally do not know a teacher who is that incompetant--unless it is I, to be very precise here. But if between now and contract time I should read an encouraging article, meet a teacher who inspires me to continue in this profession in which I do get to witness intellectual growth firsthand, speak with a parent who recognizes that growth in his child, or perhaps have a moment of spiritual claritas that instructs me not to give up, I might remain and continue to try to help one more Johnny write better. As passionate as you are about education, you should join our ranks where passion, intelligence, and endurance matter.