when denied candy, kids would 'retaliate' by knocking again, with the pounce.. a chalk cover door meant, 'don't even bother.'

Never heard of that Helen - never to old to learn - isn't that why we are all here?
Brought to mind days long ago when there were tramps who came to the door offering work for food ... the 1930s ...
My mother would always bring a meal to those men but they ate on the enclosed back porch, never invited into the house. My Dad was glad to offer food to those in need but warned Mother that all were not trustworthy. Hence the back porch.
I remember being told that tramps or hobos, whatever, had codes - small drawings really - they put in an inconspicuous spot that told other men of the road that the lady of the house was a "kind woman" or that the house was not welcoming... among two signs. Anyone know about this? I think the sign for a Kind Woman was a curled up cat drawn very simply.
Any help out there?

EDIT : Decided not to be lazy and found this site. Seeems I got the cat right but not that it was curled up!
http://www.slackaction.com/signroll.htm