About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Hey maahey

Since neither my knowledge nor my explanatory powers are up to it, and I don't even know if you're interested, I will do as Anil Warner always recommended and 'bash on regardless'.

Alpeh-null, which is represented by the 'squiggly' figure in tsuwm's link, is the number representing what we, in layman's terms, call 'infinity'. This is the number of items in the set of number 1,2,3.... (continue counting for ever, adding one each time).

The mathematically interesting thing about this is that there are sets with more items in them than this 'normal' or 'everyday' infinity.

For instance, the set of rational numbers (all possible fractions made out of integers), has exactly the same number of members as the set of natural (or counting) numbers: Aleph-null. The set of irrational numbers, on the other hand (square root of two, three, five etc and e and pi) has 'infinitely' more members than Aleph-null. It is often (always? correct me some mathematicians) represented as Aleph-one.

All infinite sets, aleph-null upwards, have some peculiar properties, including this - aleph-null minus one is still equal to aleph-null. Hence the joke about the beer bottles.

Hope this helps.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Another thing to remember is that Georg Cantor, the mathematician noted for his work with infinities, spent his golden years in the state nuthatchery.

They say that his work didn't drive him there. They say…

old hand
old hand
they also say...

The set of all sets that do not include themselves

is a logical impossibility and hence demonstrates the impossibility of proving mathematics from first pricniples. At least, I believe this is what Russell and Whitehead came up against when they were writing their Principia, and hence had to give up. No wonder poor ol' Cantor went a little loopy.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If y'all are wondering about that set of all sets that do not include themselves, ask yourself. Does the set of all sets that do not include themselves include itself?

old hand
old hand
And, if the plurals sound confusing, try it as "the set of every set that does not include itself"...

etc

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Douglas Hofstadter spent seven hundred pages trying to make that clearer, and expanding on its implications. (After Godel did it first, more succinctly. But also CAUTION: NEOLOGISM ALERT! more jargonically.)

M
addict
addict
M
Thank you Shanks! That *was helpful and I even indulged in a serious attempt to shake off the terrrible stigma that my mind has associated with numbers to ponder the points you and others made. drifting...Has anyone read RK Narayan's essay on higher mathematics from his collection of essays. It kept me in splits throughout; shall see if I can find a link.

veteran
veteran

Aleph-one. I had always seen it written as Aleph sub C. They knew it was bigger, but they didn't know if there were any infinities between Null and C, so they were reluctant to call it Aleph one.

I was discussing this with a professional mathematician colleague of mine and he said that they don't do this any more. He believes that someone has actually proven that C=1 (there are no infinities larger than aleph null and smaller than aleph C).

Caveat: He's a super smart guy, but I think his forte is probability theory and analysis of algorithms.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I, too, had heard they weren't sure if the continuum was Aleph-1. Glad to hear they've got that straightened out. I was worried.

#114997 11/05/03 04:31 PM
old hand
old hand
Maahey

R K Narayan evokes fond memories - Malgudi Days and so on. For some reason I have a vague notion that I also might have read the higher mathematics piece you speak of - but then again, maybe not. Would love to read it, if you can find a link.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,421
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,351 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,592
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith