Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#109924 08/16/03 08:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Part of Pangaea

I think the "pan" points to everywhere being part of Pangaea.

As for Gondwanaland,
http://www.nsf.gov/od/opp/support/gondwana.htm

#109925 08/16/03 08:34 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And I agree with Wordwind and Helen and sjmaxq that Eurasia makes more sense, but, dagnabbit, I agree with Wordwind first since Wordwind brought the whole damned Eurasia thing up first as making more sense than Europe separate from Asia here on AWAD. And I am thinking in terms of land mass. Not politics. If you get into rivers and mountains as a basis for separating continents, well, then, here in North America we could argue we have a couple of extra continents. Sheesh. Politics make my blood boil. And as for Africa having been part of Eurasia, well, then, lets go back a bit farther when Africa was part of the east coast of North America.

However, looking at things as they are right now, Europe and Asia form one huge land mass and it's that land mass that should be called a continent and not two separate continents.

Chopped Liver Is the Only Way to Go!

#109926 08/16/03 09:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>And as for Africa having been part of Eurasia, well, then, lets go back a bit farther when Africa was part of the east coast of North America.

Yeahbut®, they wasn't America and Africa then, and hominids of any sort were mighty thin on the ground. Eurafrasia existed right into the 19th Century, and was only dismembered by human activity.

#109927 08/16/03 09:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, early christian maps, followed the thoughts of many of the early peoples of the mediterrain. (just look at that word.. the sea in the middle of the earth!) and had Jerusalam as the center point of the map, and included lands to the east and north and south.. so the northern coast of africa would be included..

I don't think the romans thought them selves living in a different 'continent' than the egyptians, or the galatians (turks) or the palistinians.. Their world, as did the early christan world, centered Mediterrian sea, and while they recognized different 'peoples' (and the burber of north africa are not the same 'people' as the arabs, or as europians,) and different lands, and different languages.. i think they also shared a unity of this world.. (and yes, they knew of other lands, and other peoples.. and while they were distant, they were part of a whole.)

i don't know exactly when (1600's?) center of european 'thought' moved north and into england, spain france and germany...and these people began to look outward (one could say actually in 1492, when the 'moors'-- with there eastern connections and dominence of spice routes moved out of spain, and spain began to look for new routes to the spices that they had become accustome to..)

Or you could say it was with the rise of islamic culture, that threatened christianity.. (and resulted in crusades, and turf wars) But the centers of thought, moved away from a mediterranian focus, and into a 'european' focus. Europe as a continent is just another political way to 'codify' this view of 'other'

i have mentioned, this idea of politics overriding geography, before.. i live in queens. that is part of NYC, not part of Long Island. If you look at a map, you might be tempted to say, 'Queens (and Brooklyn) are counties on Long Island.. You live on Long Island.' You would be wrong!

Long Island starts at the queens/nassua boundry. Queens in not part of Long Island. Don't let the geography confuse you! Politics is more important than mere geography.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith