well i have a granddaughter in the SF area, so i won't argue.. one option is going cross the bay to emeryville or oakland.. hotels are much cheaper, and then car pooling cross the bridge to see the sites is an option.. parking is expensive in SF, but as much fun as it is to get a hot sporty little red convertable, one or two mini vans would schelp 7 or 8 people at a time.. once your in SF, there are connects to buses, (cross the golden gate, to marin county, and the park) the cable cars, tour buses, and even a small subway system.. so if there was a plan for a car rental to include a van.. (and then some way of working out comp for the van renter/driver(cost more than a car)/gas/parking.) places like rent-a-wreck(which aren't wrecks, but also aren't current model year cars) are good options for saving costs.

it would take more coordination.. how did you guys work things out in ireland? did everyone rent their own car, or did you car pool?

some of the motels in oakland/emeryville even have shuttle buses cross the oakland bridge. and because the land is cheaper,they also often have outdoor pools. they also often have conference rooms, too, that can be booked..

any one who really want to see things (say drive 4 hours down to monterey bay) could rent their own car..if you do, take pacific coast highway, Rt. 1, not I-5. Route 1 is the old coast road, (the ones the spanish monks followed!) it hugs the coast, and passes all the old missions..